Monday, February 21, 2011

Breakfast Burritos

What is it about breakfast burritos that is so satisfying? I love those darn things! When I was a student teacher, there was a boy in the class that brought me one once a week from his parent's hole-in-the-wall taco shop. He wasn't the brightest student, but somehow he got straight A's when I was in charge of report cards. ;) Ever since he brought me those, I have loved them ever since. I think it's my sub conscience jumping for joy because I have found yet another way to weasel Mexican food into another meal.

This is one of the better breakfast burrito recipes I have found. Of course, it's from the Pioneer Woman. She is incredible. I want to hang out with her for a month and follow her every footstep in the kitchen to learn how to work magic in the kitchen like she does. I made this for my family on a Saturday morning, and they just scarfed them up. It was the perfect combination of everything that is breakfast.

And see that bacon in the foreground? I tossed it in 1 T of maple syrup and 1/4 c brown sugar and roasted it for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. That stuff was magical! Next time I make it, I'll do a picture-by-picture post. It's some tasty bacon!

Focus! Focus! Breakfast burritos...
Breakfast Burritos:
source: The Pioneer Woman Cookbook - a must have for anyone.

1/2 lb breakfast sausage
1 1/2 c cooked hash browns
1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
5 eggs
1/2 t seasoned salt
black pepper to taste
2 T half and half
1 T fresh chives
1 c grated Monterey Jack cheese (I was out, so I used cheddar)
6 large burrito-sized tortillas
salsa (you can use jarred salsa, but I had some of this on hand, and it went beautifully with it)

Brown the breakfast sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Reduce heat to low. Add the cooked hash browns.
Add the diced red pepper. Your kitchen should already be smelling delicious. Cook for five minutes.
Crack the eggs into a large bowl. Add the half and half, salt, and pepper. Stir it lightly to break the eggs. Add the chives (I used green onions)...
and the cheese. Stir it to combine.
Pour the mixture over the sausage-potato-red pepper mixture.
Turn up the heat to medium-low. Gently stir the mixture. I would stir mine to mix it up, let it sit for a minute, and mix it again. Continue with this process until the eggs are cooked.
Here is what it will look like when the eggs are completely set.
Place your 6 tortillas in a dampened paper towel and microwave them for 30 seconds. This will softened them so they don't break apart when you try to roll them. Also, I only had soft taco sized tortillas, but those ginormous burrito tortillas would be awesome.

Put a couple large spoonfuls on the mixture in the middle of the burrito. Fold over the sides.
Roll them. And you're done! The one picture below was for my daughter, so it was a little mini breakfast burrito. Mine was much heftier. :)
Now that you have experienced this awesome breakfast burrito from the Pioneer Woman, you can watch this catchy song on YouTube and get it stuck in your head. When you make these and try them, you can sing, "This is the best burrito I've ever eaten!"


The song is called "best burrito" by Parry Gripp, the singer from Nerf Herder (high five for you if you remember that band!). I'm telling you- This post is not complete until you watch this video. If you don't find this song humorous, we are on a totally different humor wavelength... which happens to me often. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment