Sunday, February 27, 2011

Smashed potatoes

When I blog at night, my husband most likely is watching some kind of Home Improvement show, and with that in the background, my creative juices can't flow while they're talking about mortises, grout, and shelving units.  Thank my lucky stars for Pandora!  Music makes me me happy.  :)  

Now for this recipe- it's nothing fancy.  It's a good change of pace if you want to do a potato side dish and tire of mashed potatoes and baked potatoes.  Although, as far deep into my soul as I may search, I cannot find a good reason for being tired of mashed potatoes.  I think Heavenly Father sits on his throne and eats a giant bowl of mashed potatoes and gravy every morning for breakfast.  

These are easy and fun to make.  An added bonus- you get to knock out every ounce of stress and frustration when you get to pound these down.  Who needs yoga when there are smashed potatoes to be made.
Smashed potatoes:
5 red potatoes (or how many you want)
melted butter
parsley
salt and pepper
Parmesan Cheese

Boil the red potatoes whole for 30 minutes or until a knife can be inserted easily.  Remove the potatoes and place them on a baking sheet. Using a potatoes masher, smash them down.  Their circumference should be twice as big as they originally were.

You can see the before and after shot here.  
Brush the tops of them with melted butter.  Sprinkle on some parsley and Parmesan cheese.  You can add any other herbs you'd like.  Bake them in a 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.  I also put mine under the boiler for a few minutes to give them an extra bit of crisp.  Serve with dollops (I love that word) of sour cream, minced chives, and if you're feeling extra crazy, some chopped bacon.

Sorry for so few pictures...  You can experiment with the toppings here.  The possibilities are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment