Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Grilled Molasses Flank Steak with Watermelon Salsa

Being that I'm a mom of three, I don't really get much time for naps.  When the kids were preoccupied earlier this week, I tried to lie down on the couch for a quick shut-eye.  The kids' mom-is-trying-to-nap-so-let's-be-crazy internal alarm went off in full mode.  They started arguing.  They started building and destroying Lincoln Log buildings.  They started watching random Youtube videos.  Sigh.  I opened my eyes and pleaded with every shred of desperation I could muster that they could try to be quiet for just 15 minutes.  They were.  I slowly started to drift off into the blissful land of afternoon power nap.  Before lying down, I tucked my phone under my arm since my youngest has a bad habit of snagging my phone when I'm not looking to go onto Kids' Youtube.  I had been asleep for only a few minutes when I felt a tiny little hand slowly reach over my arm and ever-so-slowly start to pull my phone out.  Stinker!  I opened my eyes, and she smiled at me.  I asked what she was doing.  She said, "Hi Mom.  I'm just getting your phone so I could watch some videos real quick."  I gave her the phone in the hopes that I could doze off again, only to have my husband yell a question to me from the other room.  *Sigh*  Why do I even bother?

Now for this recipe.  I was really nervous making a fruit salsa to go over meat.  My husband can be a bit picky when fruit comes into play.  Fruit in muffins?  Nope.  Fruit in pies?  Nope.  Fruit in salsa?  Nope.  Not usually.  He tried this stuff and said that it was great.  He ate it over the perfectly tender steak and loved every bite.  I don't usually buy flank steak because it can be really tough.  Not this stuff!  It melted in my mouth even though it was a tad bit overdone for my taste.   When it's 110 outside, the grill tends to get a little hotter than other places.  Even if this recipe is not something that sounds good to you, give it a shot!  If nothing else, use the marinade on the flank steak and leave off the salsa.  It won't disappoint!
Grilled Molasses Flank Steak with Watermelon Salsa Recipe


Grilled Molasses Flank Steak with Watermelon Salsa
photo source: Jennifer Davick; Food Styling: Amy Wilson 
http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-molasses-flank-steak#

source: Grill Nation, by David Guas, pg. 176

Ingredients:

3/4 c molasses
1/3 c soy sauce
1/4 c canola oil
1/4 c lemon juice
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T fresh grated ginger (or 2 t dried)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t dried crushed red pepper

1 2-lb flank steak

Watermelon Salsa:
1 c diced, unpeeled nectarine
2 jalapeno, seeded and minced (I cut this way down since no one in my family likes heat)
1 T sugar
3 T fresh lime juice
2 t orange zest
2 t fresh ginger (or 1/2 t dried)
2 c seeded and diced watermelon
1/2 c chopped cilantro
1/3 c diced red onion

Combine the first 8 ingredients in a baking dish.  Stir to combine.  Add the flank steak.  Cover it, and chill in the fridge for 4-12 hours.  

Prepare the watermelon salsa just before grilling the steak.  Combine the first six ingredients.  Stir to mix well.  Add the watermelon, cilantro, and red onion.  Gently toss.  Chill in the fridge until ready to serve.

Remove steak from the marinade.  Discard the marinade.

Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (400-450 degrees).  Grill the steak for 9 minutes on each side.  Remove and let it rest of 10 minutes.  Slice thinly across the grain.  Serve with the watermelon salsa.

I'm telling you!  This steak turns out fabulous!


No comments:

Post a Comment