Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Chili Colorado Burritos

My three year old is quite the little chatterbox in and out of sleep.  She goes on and on during the day, and when she's sleeping at night, she just can't stop.  Just this week, she cried out, "No!!  Not there!" and "Just go away!" all while she was out cold.  

Then, she was crying last night, and I go in there to check on her.  She looks at me with glazed-over, half-open eyes and said, "Why did you put my granola bar on the book shelf?!"  

Being that I was a bit out of it myself since it was 2:00 a.m., it took me a minute to realize that she had been dreaming.  I finally said, "Scarlet, I didn't put a granola bar anywhere.  I think you were dreaming."  

She responded, "uuuughhh" and went back to sleep. Kids.  They crack me up.

Now, onto these burritos.  If you're gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian, lactose-intolerant, or on a diet, I'm sorry for tempting you with such gloriousness.  Good.  Grief....  These burritos are fabulous.  I didn't put a whole Anaheim chili in or any of the diced green chilies to keep the heat level down for my kids and acid reflux- cursed husband.  Even without those, there was enough heat from the adobo sauce and enchilada sauce.  These burritos are every bit as good as they look, and they come together in just 30 minutes!  The two times that I've made them, my husband salivated for a good two minutes before he snapped out of the tasty-food-alert-coma.  

You could use re-fried beans, add rice, use chicken or make any other modifications.  Anything would be delicious with this sauce.  

Smothered Chile Colorado Burritos

Chili Colorado Burritos
recipe and photo source: http://lecremedelacrumb.com/2014/11/smothered-chile-colorado-burritos.html


Ingredients:
2 lbs flank steak, or similar, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 10-ounce cans red mild or medium enchilada sauce
2 T adobo sauce
1 anaheim pepper, diced
1 15-ounce diced green chilies (I omitted this to keep the heat down for the kids)
2 t minced garlic
1 1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t salt
1 t cumin
1 T cold water + 2 T corn starch
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 burrito-sized flour tortillas
1 c shredded Mexican-style cheese

Pre-heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add the steak and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the next 8 ingredients into the pan.  Stir.  In a small bowl, combine the cold water and corn starch.  Stir until the corn starch is dissolved.  Pour the corn starch/water mixture into the skillet with everything else.  Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.  

Pre-heat the over to 400.  

Down the center of the tortilla, put some black beans and a generous amount of the beef mixture.  I added a little cheese to this as well because you can never have too much cheese.  Roll up the tortilla and place it seam-side down in a 9x13 pan.  Top it off with any remaining sauce.  Sprinkle cheese on top.  

Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment