Saturday, June 8, 2013

White Chicken Chili

I love those silly little e-cards that people post of Facebook and Pinterest.  I can relate to many of them, and the ones that I personally can't relate to, I still laugh out loud.  I saw one that said, "Don't expet a 'Bless you' after the fifth sneeze.  Get it under control."  I laughed so hard at that.  I saw one just today that said, "Sorry kids.  Dinner is going to be a bit late tonight.  Mama has five lives and this candy isn't going to crush itself."  I have a slight addiction to Candy Crush Saga, and I'm sure that although I haven't said this to my kids- dinner, breakfast, or lunch may have been a bit late due to my need to play that silly game.  

Even if you have a crazy app addiction, you can still whip this soup up in 30 minutes flat.  I love that some of the beans are pureed with broth and added to the soup to make it more creamy.  It has a delightful texture, and the flavor is wonderful.  It was about 110 degrees outside when I made this soup, and I'd do it all over again.  Delicious!
 White Chicken Chili
source: http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/05/white-chicken-chili/

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 small onion, diced
1 T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5 oz can chicken broth
4 oz diced chilies
1 1/2 t cumin
3/4 t paprika
1/2 t dried oregano
1/2 t ground coriander
1/4 t cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
1 1/4  fresh or frozen corn
2 15 oz cans cannelini beans, drained and rinsed
1 T lime juice
chopped cilantro, for serving
shredded Monterey Jack cheese, for garnish

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Once it is hot, add the chicken and onion.  Saute until the chicken is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.  Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds longer.  Add the chicken broth, green chilies (I only added half to cut down on the heat for the kids), cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper.  Heat it just to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes.

Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add to the soup.  Stir until it is almost all melted.  There might be some small chunks left in the soup.  It'll all be okay in the end.  Add the corn, and 1 can of the drained and rinsed beans.

Put 3/4 of the other can of beans along with 1/4 c of broth from the soup in a food processor.  Pulse it until it is smooth.  Add this to the soup.  Add the remaining 1/4 can of beans to the soup.  Simmer for 15 minutes longer.

Mix in fresh lime juice.  Serve into bowls and top with Monterey Jack cheese and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment