Monday, June 3, 2013

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

No matter how well I hide my food coloring, my kids will still find the stuff in my cupboards.  They love food coloring.  In their eyes, however, it isn't food coloring.  It is rock coloring, seashell coloring, homemade potion coloring, dirt coloring, bubble coloring, and table coloring.  I admire their creativity.  I really do.  I saw my daughter get it out the other day, and I told her no before she could bust it open.  I don't think she opened it all, but when I went to clean the kitchen table, there was a bunch of red food coloring that stained my Clorox wipe.  Baffling.  

Luckily, I had enough red food coloring to make these cookies.  If I didn't have red, I suppose I could have made green velvet or blue velvet cookies.  These were some tasty cookies!  My husband ate three, and my children confessed their undying love to them- which is a nice change of pace after the strawberry banana pancake fiasco (see two posts previous.)  I can't wait to make these again.  Delicious!
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
source: http://www.bakingserendipity.com/2010/12/14/red-velvet-chocolate-chip-cookies/

makes one dozen cookies

1/2 c butter
1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 t red food coloring
1 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/3 c cocoa
1/2 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375.

Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add the eggs and vanilla.  Mix well.  Add the food coloring.

Turn off the mixer and add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa.  Turn the mixer on low and mix just until combined.

Gently fold in the chocolate chips.

Drop by large spoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  I did 12 minutes, and although they came out delicious, I think they were slightly overcooked.  Shoot for ten minutes.

Let cool before devouring.


No comments:

Post a Comment