Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Oreo Pudding Cake

This lovely Valentine's day morning started out hopeful.  I got to sleep in a little, and my kids were happy when they woke up.  We were out of milk, so I made them scrambled eggs, gave them grapes in a little silicone heart cupcake holder, and cut out hearts in their toast.  I was pretty proud of my creativity for the early morning.  Well, my son is in this crazy stage where he will take a bite of something and spit it out because he just wanted to get a quick taste.  Well, my daughter, who happens to have the most sensitive gag reflex in the entire world saw that and started heaving.  Only minutes prior to this, she had finished up the milk with a nice cup of strawberry milk which was now splattering all over the floor.  Too bad it wasn't it heart splatters- that would have been quite festive.  I start to clean up the mess, and being that I am six months pregnant, I don't have the most stable gag reflex in the world either.  Sure enough, out comes my breakfast.  Happy Valentine's Day to me! 

Luckily, the day got better.  I made a fun, heart-filled dinner and this dessert.  I found the link to this dessert on a friend's amazing craft blog (eighteen25.blogspot.com) and had to try it since I'm a nut for Oreos.  The recipe was ridiculously easy and very delicious.  My family, thank goodness, did not hurl this all over the floor. 
 Oreo Pudding Cake
source: eighteen25.blogspot.com

one chocolate cake mix (plus the water, oil, and eggs)
2 pkgs Oreo pudding (plus the milk)
10 Oreos
Sprinkles (optional)

Bake the chocolate cake according to package directions.

While it is still slightly warm, poke holes all over the top.  I used the end of a wooden spoon.
 Prepare the two pudding packages according to the directions on the box.  As soon as it is done mixing, pour it over the hole-y cake.
 Place the Oreos in a Ziplock bag and cruch them using a meat mallet or roll over the bag with a rolling pin to make coarse crumbs.
 If you'd like, add some festive sprinkles.  Refrigerate the cake until you're ready to serve it.  Store any leftovers in the fridge.
The possibilities for this cake are endless.  You could use any mix of cake and pudding and topping.  Ooh-la-la.

No comments:

Post a Comment