Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Favorite Baked Beans

 Okay...  I have made several kinds of baked beans, but these are, by far, the most ridiculously delicious that I have ever tasted.  We had some friends over for dinner a while back and made pulled pork.  What better to go with pulled pork than baked beans?  I busted this recipe out, and here are a few comments:

"Dude... Is this bacon cake?  This looks amazing!"

"Umm..  These are definitely better than the canned ones that I was going to bring."

mmmmmm....

I love the first one.  Bacon Cake.  Oh, yes.  If you have a loved one in your life that loves bacon, whip this out and throw a couple candles on top.  Best birthday ever.  These beans are out of sight, and they wer almost completely devoured before I got a picture.  Thankfully, I could snap one while there was still a little bit left. 

The next time you grill anything, make these.  If you're a baked-bean person, they shall render you speechless.

Baked Beans

8 bacon slices, halved
1 onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, diced (the original called for a green pepper, but I like red way better)
3 28 oz. cans of pork and beans
3/4 c barbecue sauce (I used cattleman's Kansas City)
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
2 t dry mustard or 2 T dijon mustard

Cook the bacon according to package directions until the bacon starts to brown around the edge and there is about 1/4 c bacon fat in the pan.  Remove the bacon and drain on paper towels.  Set aside.

Add the diced onion and red pepper to the bacon drippings and saute over medium-high heat for about five minutes. 

Add the beans.

 Add the remaining ingredients.  Stir.  Heat the ingredients to a simmer.
Pour the bean mixture into a 13x9 pan.  

 Top it with the bacon slices.  Bake it at 325 on the lower-middle rack for two hours.  That is not a typo!  After two hours, the liquid will start to evaporate and create this syrupy goodness that coats the beans.  It's magical. 
 Remove the beans and let the groans begin. 
Two words:  Bacon.  Cake.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you find the BBQ Sauce, I've looked and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Lisa! I found mine at Smith's. The first ingredient is actually tomato something or rather, and it's the best bottled BBQ sauce I have tasted. I'm sure you could substitute it with your favorite sauce though. I don't think any sauce could mess up these beans. I hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete