Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Layered Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Cream Filling and White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

Have I mentioned that I love Taste of Home?  I have found so many amazing recipes, and this is one of them.  I don't think that I've ever made a cake that had such perfectly level layers when they come out.  The cakes didn't sink in the middle, and they fluffed up just perfectly.  My husband said that this is the best cake he's ever tasted.  Woot!  I don't know if I'd go that far, but it was amazing.  I made it for my dear ol' mum for her birthday.  There weren't any complaints!

As a side note to voice my impatience with chocolateering, I was trying to make chocolate ribbons to go on top of the cake.  I think I flared my nostrils and huffed and puffed enough to last me a lifetime.  And if my poor little kids could read my mind, I would have to define a whole slew of new words for them.  It was impossible!  I tried to salvage the chocolate, so I made those pathetic little strips of chocolate to put on top so my efforts weren't completely foiled.  Try not to focus on the unprofessionalism of the appearance.  This was one tasty cake!
Layered Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Cream Filling and White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting
source: Taste of Home November 2011 magazine

Cake:
1 c butter, softened
2 1/2 c sugar
5 eggs
1 1/2 t vanilla
2 3/4 c flour
1 c cocoa
2 t baking soda
3/4 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/2 c water

Frosting:
12 ounces white chocolate
18 oz cream cheese, softened
3 T butter, softened
4 1/2 t lemon juice

Filling:
3/4 c heavy cream
1/3 c seedless raspberry preserves
2 1/4 t sugar

Let it begin!

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  I whipped mine for a couple of minutes.  Add the eggs, one at a time.  Beat after each addition.  Add in the vanilla.

Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl.  Whisk to combine. 

 Add the dry mixture alternately with the water.
 Make sure you mix well between each addition, ensuring it is well incorporated.

Pour into three greased 9 inch round pans.  I always line the bottom of my pans with parchment paper to ensure that they come out when I flip the pan over- not that I've ever had cakes stick to the bottom... Me?  Never.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 24-28 minutes.  Cool for ten minutes before inverting and cooling on a wire rack.
For the filling, beat the cream until it begins to thicken.  Add the raspberry preserves and sugar.  Continue to beat until stiff peaks form.

 Once the cake layers are cool, spread 1/2 of the filling on the bottom layer of the cake.
 Add the second cake layer and spread the remaining 1/2 of the filling onto the cake.
 Top with the third layer. 

I kept mine in the fridge until I was ready to frost it.  However, I would keep it in the freezer for an hour or so to help keep the crumbs intact.  I always skip this step and end up with a crumb-speckled frosting. 
For the frosting, melt the white chocolate in the microwave until smooth.  Let it cool to room temperature.

 In your mixer, beat the cream cheese until it's fluffy. 
 Beat in the cooled chocolate and lemon juice.  Mix well. 
 Spread all over the top and sides of the cake. 

If you're like me, you'll have a cake that looks like a zebra had a run-in with some cookie-n-cream ice cream.  At least it'll taste good!

No comments:

Post a Comment