Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pecan Turkey Salad Sandwiches

Oh, the joys of Thanksgiving dinner.  You spend 8 hours in the kitchen cooking and devour it all in 15 minutes.  One perk?  Leftovers.  Now, I'm not talking reheated turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and gravy.  That's nice one more time, but I love all the options to do with leftover turkey.  I found this gem of a recipe and loved it.  I made it one afternoon and asked my husband if he wanted some.  He kind of snarled and agreed.  He took one bite and asked, "Man... what did you put in here?!  This hits the spot!"  It was really good.  I'm sad that I'm almost out of turkey.  This would be miraculous on a criossant, but alas, I just had regular bread. 


Pecan Turkey Salad Sandwiches
source: adapted from "Cashew Turkey Salad Sandwiches" from tasteofhome.com

1 1/2 c cubed turkey breast
1/4 c thinly sliced celery
2 T craisins (the original called for chopped dried apricots)
2 T pecans (the original called for chopped cashews)
1 green onion, chopped
1/4 plus 2 T mayonnaise
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
lettuce
bread, toasted

Combine all ingredients except the lettuce and bread in a bowl.  Stir to combine.

Lightly toast the bread, put on a piece of lettuce, and top with the turkey salad and another piece of toasted bread.

If you're allergic to nuts, my heart breaks for you.  There is something about the crunchy addition of the pecans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment