Sunday, November 6, 2011

Libby's Strawberry Salad

I must give credit where credit is due on this one.  There is a sweet old lady that I went to church with for years and years named Libby.  She passed this recipe onto my mom, and the first time I tasted it, I could have eaten that whole stinkin' salad myself.  Generally, all the strawberry salads Ive ever made or tried use a vinegar-based dressing that is too overpowering for my husband to tolerate.  Well, this lovely salad has a creamy, mayonnaise-based sweet dressing that is amazing.  I made this salad for some friends that came over a couple days ago, and the wife polished off the salad and said, "Man, I usually don't like salad dressing, but this stuff is magic!"  Indeed it is.  It just might be my new favorite.  I don't have any other pictures, but this recipe is simple enough to just give you an idea of the glory you're about to consume.
Libby's Strawberry Salad
Source: Libby Coombs, a sweet old lady I know from church

1 head of Romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
1/2 red onion, diced (I didn't have red onion on hand when I made it)
1 1/2 c sliced strawberries (use more if you'd like)
1/2 c slivered honey roasted almonds

dressing:
3/4 c mayonnaise
1/3 c sugar
2 T milk
1 T cider vinegar

Combine all the salad ingredients in a bowl. 

Whisk all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.  I let mine sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes in the hopes that the sugar would dissolve to avoid the graininess, and it wasn't grainy at all.  Score!

Pour about 1/4 c dressing on the salad at a time and toss to combine.  Add more dressing until you've reached a dressingy-ness that you like. 

Serve immediately.

I'm telling you... this is my new favorite.  :)  Poppy seeds would be a nice touch to the dressing as well, if you're into that sort of thing.  mmm..

1 comment:

  1. I have missed your blog indeed. And we missed ya at your parents house. BUT, we heard the good news. Congrats!!!! So happy for you! :)

    ReplyDelete