Sunday, September 4, 2011

Kansas City Ribs

On the SNL Will Ferrell greatest hits DVD, it shows him doing this hilarious impersonation of Harry Caray.  Out of the middle of nowhere, he says, "Hey!  We all know that the moon is not made of green cheese, but what if it were made of barbecued spareribs?  Would you eat it then?  I know I would.  Heck!  I'd have seconds, then polish it off with a tall , cool glass of Budweiser.  Well, would you?  It's a simple question, doctor.   Would you eat the moon if it were made of ribs."  If Harry Caray were asking me this same question, and he let me know that it was this recipe- Yes.  I would.  I would eat every last rib up there.  That is if my husband wouldn't eat them all first.  One of my favorite Labor Day weekend memories was watching my husband devour these ribs.  I tried to get a picture of the BBQ sauce plastered all over his face, but my camera was out of battery.  Shucks.  It was on his nose, his chin, his cheek, and dribbling down his shirt.  It made my whole weekend.  I hope you attempt these ribs, so you too can see your loved ones covered in BBQ sauce from hair to hands.   
 Kansas City Ribs
source: Better Homes and Gardens Grill It! (an awesome cookbook)

4 to 5 pounds pork baby back ribs

dry rub:
1 T packed brown sugar
1 T paprika
1 t garlic powder
1 t celery salt
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper

BBQ sauce:
1/2 c finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T butter
1 c ketchup
1/4 c molasses
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
2 T brown sugar
1 T chili powder
1 T mustard
1 T worcestershire sauce

2 c Mequite or hickory wood chips

Combine the dry rub ingredients and spread it across the front and back of the ribs.  Place the ribs on a shallow roasting pan.  I put mine on foil for easy cleaning.  Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours in a 350 degree oven. 

While they are cooking, soak about 2 c wood chips in water.  The wood chips are optional, but boy do they make the ribs taste good.  After saoking for 30 minutes, remove them and place them on foil.  Fold the ends up.  Then bring the sides up.  Leave the top open a bit for the smoke to escape.  You can also poke the closed packet with a fork a few times.  A picture of the wood chip packet is a few pictures down.

 When you take them out, the ends of the bones will be a bit charred from the rub being baked onto the bones, but don't you worry.  It'll still taste wonderful.  Remove the ribs and place them on a grill-safe tray.  You don't have to do this, but we were worries that they would fall apart since they were so tender.


 One way to tell that the ribs are done is if the bones are sticking out about an inch.  Just so you know, 'cause I'm sure you're dying to know, I would not eat ribs until I was about 19.  I refused to eat meat directly off of bones as a kid/teenager.  I love them now!

 Place the wood chip packet directly on top of one of the burner.  Preheat the grill to medium.  Wait to put the ribs on until you see smoke. 
 While you're waiting for the chips to smoke, prepare the BBQ sauce.  In a saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in butter over medium heat for a couple of minutes.  Once the mixture is fragrant, add the remaining ingredients.  Stir to mix well.  Bring the sauce to a boil then reduec to a simmer for about 15-20 minutes. 

Once the chips are smoking, turn the burner(s) off that will be directly under the ribs.  Cook the ribs for about 10-15 minutes.  Baste both sides and turn half-way through. 
 After 15 minutes of grilling, you'll be ready to eat. 

Just as a note, the recipe said to leave the heat on under the ribs, so ours got a little toasty on top, but they were still probably the best ribs I've ever tasted.  The BBQ sauce alone is reason enough to eat these ribs.  Amazing!  Make sure you save the extra sauce to serve with the ribs.
I served these ribs with cornbread muffins, loaded mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob.  If you're going to use this cornbread recipe, bake the muffins in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the middle comes out clean.

Forget Tony Roma's or Chili's!  These ribs blow those out of the water! 

No comments:

Post a Comment