Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mom's Cornbread

There's something about cornbread that makes me all warm and fuzzy on the inside. When it is warm out of the oven, there's nothing quite like butter and honey drizzled on top. This is my mom's recipe, and although I have tried several other recipes, I tend to always come back to this one. It's got a great texture and flavor. As an added bonus, we love to grill delicious meat, and cornbread on the side is always a perk. This recipe will not let you down. My mom actually adds 1/2 c blueberries to the batter as well. I think that is delicious, but in some point in my husband's life, he had a run-in with mushy, cooked fruit and has a very difficult time eating it in. I tend to leave it out of things, so I am not forced to eat a whole pan of mushy fruit-filled cornbread- although it is good enough to eat a whole pan of it.
Mom's cornbread:
source: my mom :)

1/2 c butter, softened
1 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c cornmeal
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c flour
2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c blueberries

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream the softened butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. You're going to want it to be light in color and fluffy.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add some yellow blur to the bowl... I mean, some yellow cornmeal.
Add the milk. Mix to incorporate it.
Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder in a separate bowl. If you don't have a sifter, use a whisk. That will whip some air into it. Add it to the bowl and mix to incorporate.
If using blueberries, add them to the bowl and gently fold them in. Pour the batter into a greased 9x9 or 8x8 pan. Bake it for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Slice it and serve it up with butter and honey. You can make honey-butter as well. That's always a tasty treat.
Now that you have this simple, delicious recipe on hand, please, for the love of Pete, do not use Jiffy corn bread mix. This is just as easy to make, and it's loads better. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment