Monday, August 29, 2011

Grilled Steak Tacos with Lime Crema and Guacamole

In the past, I have made steak tacos and trying to bite through the meat is like trying to bite through a piece of leather.  My teeth feel like they're about to rip out, and when I floss later that night, I discover enough leftover shards of meat I could feed the stray dogs in the neighborhood.  Well, my friends, that was not the case with these melt-in-your-mouth bits of marinated meat.  Heavens to Betsy!  This meat turned out fantastic.  I think something magical happened to the beef when you make the paste to marinate it in.  It was unbelievably tender.  I think Chuck Norris may have come and beat some sense into it when I wasn't looking.  Yes, it was that tender.  The Lime crema is only sour cream with some lemon juice.  It was a great addition to the flavor of the meat.  If you're a taco or fajita fan, give these bad boys a shot.
 Grilled Steak Tacos with Lime Crema and Guacamole
Source: Better Homes and Gardens Grill It!

1/2 c chopped onion
1/3 c fresh squeezed lime juice
2 T cumin
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 t paprika
1/4 t cayenne
1/2 t salt
1 large steak (I used a huge sirloin, but the recipe calls for flank

flour tortillas
shredded lettuce
sliced red onion
chopped cilantro
salsa
Monterey Jack cheese

guacamole:
2 avocados, mashed
1/2 c chopped roma tomatoes
1/2 c chopped cilantro
3 T finely chopped red onion
2 T lime juice
1/2 t salt

Lime Crema:
1/2 c sour cream
1 1/2 T lime juice

In a food processor or blender, chop the onion,  lime juice, cumin, garlic, paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt.  After the mixture is processed, it should look like a thick paste.

If you're using a thick steak, pound it out to be about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.  Spread the paste on either side and use your fingertips to press the paste into the meat.  (I think this is where Chuck Norris comes in.)  Let this sit for 2-24 hours, if possible.  Mine only sat for 45 minutes, and it was amazing.
While the meat is sitting, prepare the guacamole.  Once the avocados are mashed, add the remaining ingredients.  Done!

For the lime crema, mix the sour cream and lime juice.  Done! Hold both of these in the fridge until you're ready to use them.  For the guacamole, use a piece of plastic wrap and place it directly on top of the guacamole.  That will keep it from turning brown.

 Prepare the grill by preheating it to high for a few minutes.  Once the temperature is high, lower the heat to medium and cook the steak for two minutes on each side.  I did only use one steak, but when I pounded it out, there was just a small piece of fat holding them together.  I just sliced them apart.  And- just as a warning- that paste gets everywhere!  Look at the mess it made all over the poor grill.
 Once the meat is done, remove it, put it on a plate, and cover it with foil to rest for five minutes.
 Chop up the meat into bite-size pieces.
 Here's the Lime Crema.  My daughter cracks me up.  She said, "Wow, mom!  That garnish on the sour cream looks really nice.  Good job!"  There you have it, folks.  Even your five-year-olds will be impressed with a slice of lime and cilantro in the Lime Crema.
There you have it.  Next time you want to have tacos, veer from the traditional ground beef tacos and try this. My husband claimed, after taking one bite, that all of is wildest dreams have come true.  Happy husbands=happy homes.  :)  I guess he won't be getting that American Telecaster for Christmas.  Tacos it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment