Sunday, August 28, 2011

Pollo Fundido (translation: Chicken chimichangas with an amazing melted cheese sauce on top)

You know that part on "Napoleon Dynamite" when Summer Wheatly is giving her class president election speech and says, "Who wants chiminichangas changas next year?  Not me.  Vote for Summer!"  Now, if I was there at that school and these chimichangas were on the menu, I would have jumped on stage and plowed her down!  I definitely would have voted for Pedro because I know he would be all about Pollo Fundido.  Besides, Pedro will make all of my wildest dreams come true. 

Now, I think I have mentioned my obsession with Mexican food on here a time or two or ten before.  My brother was looking at my blog on day and called me to tell me about Pollo Fundido because I had posted a Queso Fundido recipe on here before.  He continued to tell me that "Pollo Fundido" is a chicken chimichanga that is smothered with a cream cheese green chili sauce and melted cheese.  Wait... What?!  Are you serious?  Talk about a dream come true!  In fact, if I was ever in a pageant, which I never in a million years would make it into one, and they asked me, "What do you think is the most important thing?" After hearing "world peace" time and time again, I would say, "Pollo Fundido!", bust out a sombrero, and break into the Mexican Hat dance.  Bra-ha! Ole!

 Pollo Fundido:
source: http://en.petitchef.com/recipes/pollo-fundido-fid-463857

Chicken Filling
1.5 lbs. chicken breasts (I just threw mine in frozen)
16 oz. jar Salsa (you can use your favorite salsa.  I used El Pinto's Green Chili Salsa)
2 cubes Chicken bouillon

Monterey Jack cheese
Cream Cheese Sauce
8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 c. Half & Half
2 Tbsp. chopped jalapenos (I used green chilies in the hopes that my kids would actually eat it)
1 tsp. chicken boullion
1 tsp. garlic powder
 
Place the chicken, salsa, and boullion in the crock pot.  Cook it on high for 3-4 hours.  Take the chicken out, shred it, and place it back in the salsa to get it all juicy. 
 
You can also cook the chicken in a skillet on the stove.  Brown it on all sides, add the salsa, and cook on medium-low until the chicken is cooked through.  Remove it and shred it.  Return it to the salsa; mix well.
 
Use the extra large tortillas and place about 1/2 c chicken mixture down the middle.
 Place slices of Monterey Jack cheese on top of the chicken.
 Fold the right and left side over the chicken and roll the tortilla.  If you place the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave them for about 15 seconds, they'll be easier to work with. 

Heat 1 inch of vegetable oil in a large skillet and fry the chimichangas on all sides until they are golden brown all around.
 To make the cream cheese sauce, soften the cream cheese in the microwave or in a saucepan.  Combine all the other ingredients.  Spoon some of it onto the chimichangas.
 Top with slices of cheddar cheese.
 Bake in a 350 degree oven for 5-10 minutes.
Take them out and devour.  I'm telling you... this might be my new favorite Mexican recipe.  It is just out of this world.  Add some Mexican rice, beans, chips, and salsa, and you've got something as good as any Mexican restaurant. 

Now I'm off to get my Mariachi fringe pants, sequined jacket, and I will do a dance around a plate of these.  Ole!

No comments:

Post a Comment