Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Strawberry Spinach Salad #2

When I eat something like this, I feel like a should be at a country club or some fancy-pants place.  This would have been way out of my league a few years ago since I've just recently started to try "different" foods.  Oh, my... this is a wonderful salad though.  I do have another recipe for a Strawberry Spinach Salad on here, but this recipe is a bit better, I think.  I does help that there is feta cheese on this one- a definite added bonus.  If there are people out there raising an eyebrow at the look of this... just try it!  I loved the dressing.  It was spectacular spectaular.  yes... so spectacular that it got a double one.
 Strawberry Spinach salad:
source: Cooking Light Annual Cookbook 2002

2 c whole strawberries
1/3 c white wine vinegar
2 T orange juice
2 t olive oil
1/2 t dried thyme
1 t sugar
1 t dijon mustard
1/4 t salt
1/8 t freshly ground pepper

6 c torn spinach
3/4 c diced fennel bulb (I didn't use this, so I don't even know what fennel looks like- this is probably why I've never been in a country club)
2 c quartered strawberries
1/4 c feta cheese
slivered almonds

Combine the first nine ingredients in a blender or food processor and pulse until smooth.  Your dressing is done!  I did use slightly less vinegar in mine so it wasn't so overpowering.

Place 2 T of the dressing, the spinach, and fennel (if using) in a bowl.  Toss to distribute the dressing.  Divide onto four plates, top with 1/2 c strawberries, 1 T feta cheese, and a little more dressing.  I added some slivered almonds, although the recipe didn't call for them. 

This is a light recipe!  indulge.

I'm off to play Angry Birds.  'night!

No comments:

Post a Comment