Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Watermelon-Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Vinaigrette

A couple of years ago, I received a Taste of Home magazine and included was a small booklet with about 8 recipes.  Among those recipes, I found this one.  Around this same time, I discovered the wonder of a Strawberry-Spinach salad, so I thought I'd give this one a try.  Boy, am I glad I did!  We've moved a couple times since then and that sacred little booklet was lost.  I was heart-broken.  Luckily, we've got the interweb on our hands, and we're able to find any recipe we want with a few clicks of a mouse.  I rediscovered this recipe on the Taste of Home website, and I think I did a happy jig around the kitchen.  Huzzah!  I love it.  It's a great one for luncheons, potlucks, showers (please don't eat this in the shower- that's not what I mean), or any other event where you want people to actually enjoy a salad. 
Poppy Seed Vinaigrette:
1/2 c white wine vinegar (I used cider vinegar. I don't think plain white vinegar would work here)
1/2 c sugar
1/2 t dry mustard
1/4 t onion powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/4 c chopped onion
1 t poppy seeds

salad:
6 oz fresh baby spinach, torn
2 cups seeded, cubed watermelon
1 c halved green grapes
1 c fresh raspberries
1/4 c slivered almonds

In a blender, combine the first five ingredients.  Cover and blend until the sugar is dissolved.  Continue to blend on low while slowly adding the oil.  Add the onion and poppy seeds.  Blend another 10-15 seconds.  Place in a container until you're ready to use it.

For the salad, combine the ingredients and toss with some of the dressing.  When I made this, I only used watermelon and added strawberries instead of the other two fruits.  I've done it with watermelon, blueberries, and strawberries as well.  Either way, you're going to love it.  The dressing is sweet but zippy, and the juiciness of the watermelon adds something out of sight to the salad.  This just might be my favorite salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment