Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fish tacos with Mango-Avocado salsa

I'm pretty sure that I used to make fun of people that ate fish tacos- probably quite recently.  Well, my curiosity got the best of me, and I gave them a try.  I was pleasantly surprised!  I will make these again for sure.  The mango salsa was amazing.  However, after dinner was long over, I realized that I forgot the sweet chili sauce.  Arg!  That would have revolutionized these tacos.  Next time, my friends, next time.  I don't know too many kids that would eat this, but it's easy to grill chicken alongside the fish or brown some ground beef for them.
 Fish Tacos with Mango-Avocado Salsa
source: Taste of Home Annual Cookbook 2011

1 medium mango, peeled and cubed
1/2 c cubed avocado
1/4 c chopped red onion
2 T chopped, seeded jalapeno pepper
1 T minced cilantro
2 t olive oil, divided
1 t lemon juice
1 t honey
1 lb fish (halibut, cod, or another mild flavored fish- don't stink out the neighbors)
1 t olive oil
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper
4 flour tortillas
Thai sweet chili sauce

Prepare the Mango-Avocado salsa by combining the first eight ingredients in a bowl.  Stir to combine.  Set aside.
 Prepare the grill to medium-high heat.  If you've never used a grill, you should give it a try!  It's not much different than a stove, and it doesn't heat up the house.  I love to use it! 

Brush the fish filets with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Grill for 4-5 minutes per side or until it flakes easily with a fork.  You can also broil it for 3-5 minutes on each side. 
 While the grill was on, I turned one of the burners down to low and toasted the tortillas on there for about 20 seconds per side.  Keep on eye on them though.  They can burn pretty easily. 
 Compile the fish tacos.  The original recipe used a large piece of Bibb lettuce on the tortilla first.  Top with the Thai chili sauce, and you'll have a wonderful summer meal.  Isn't is lovely? 
I will leave myself open to public mockery for any anti-fish taco eaters out there.  It's fair game.  However, when you finally come around and try them and love them, I will expect an apology.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment