Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Chicken Caprese

I had Spring Break a couple weeks ago, and I have not recovered.  Apparently, my mind thinks it is okay to take a vacation from anything and everything.  I apologize for not posting as often as I'd like.  Things have been crazy yet lazy at the same time. 

Now, to this chicken...  I found this recipe is a Taste of Home cookbook (of course).  I just happened to have all the ingredients on hand, so I gave it a shot.  We loved it!  When you see it, you think, "Mmm..  Cheesy chicken."  Then, you look further and discover that there is bacon.  Oh, snap!  Hooray for bacon!  But wait... what is that? Fresh basil?  Nice!  Another cut reveals slices of tomato.  Is there no end to this wonderful concoction?  Oh, there will be an end because you'll want to eat every last bite.  The chicken turned out moist, and the flavors all blended together were great.  I'm glad I found this gem of a recipe. 
 Chicken Caprese
source: Taste of Home Annual Recipes 2011

2 chicken breasts
4 slices of bacon
1 tomato, sliced
fresh basil, about 6-8 leaves
mozzarella cheese, sliced
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 and place the bacon on a baking sheet.  This particular sheet of mine has been used and abused for years.  It's the sheet I use when I don't care what it does to the pan.  Bake the bacon for 8-10 minutes.  You don't want it crisp.  You just want it cooked a bit so you can still wrap it around the chicken.
 Trim the chicken of any fat or tendons or other nasty chicken stuff that should never be accidentally bitten into.  Brush on some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Top with sliced tomato and fresh basil. 
 Pick up the chicken breast and wrap with the bacon.  This was kind of hard for me, so for the second one, I laid the bacon on the sheet, placed the chicken on top and wrapped the bacon around.  That was much easier. 
 Bake for 20-25 mintues.  mmm...
 Top with mozzarella cheese.  Place back in the oven for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted.
 Take the chicken out and drool.  Make sure your kids have a mop ready. 
This chicken is so easy to make, and it really is wonderful.  I don't think you can go wrong with mozzarella cheese, bacon, basil, or tomatoes- let alone all at the same time.  Bacon, cheese, basil, and tomato lovers rejoice!

No comments:

Post a Comment