Thursday, December 2, 2010

Mozzarella Stuffed Mushrooms

I bought some mushrooms a few days ago, and they were gargantuan! I couldn't believe the size of these mammoth mushrooms. I was going to chop them up and put them in some rice pilaf, which I did with the smaller ones, but I took out the really big ones and decided to stuff 'em! I looked in my trusty Taste of Home cookbook, and although they had four recipes that looked amazing, I remember having some once that were stuffed with creamy, cheesy goodness. Come on, now, we all know that I love creamy, cheesy goodness more than any one person should. I decided to make up my own recipe from what I had on hand. I hate to toot my own horn, but these turned out so good! They are so easy, and this would be a good appetizer for those upcoming holiday parties.
Mozzarella Stuffed Mushrooms:
serves 2

four large mushrooms, washed, and stem removed
2 oz cream cheese
1/3 c shredded mozzarella cheese
2 T chopped green onions
2 T diced tomato

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Soften the cream cheese. I throw mine in the microwave for about 30 seconds on 1/2 power. You can also let it sit out for about 20 minutes. That oughtta soften it up. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl.
Mix all the ingredients together.
Spoon the mixture into the mushrooms and place them on a cookie sheet.
Bake them for 15 minutes.
Done! This is such an easy appetizer. There was one point where I wouldn't go near mushrooms. I mean, it's a fungus! Once a kid figures that out, mushrooms are no longer a part of their vocabulary. Luckily, I grew up, more or less, and I realized that these are delicious. Thank cheese for that one! There you have it. You can be little miss or mister fancy pants bringing some cheesy, creamy, delicious stuffed mushrooms to your next gathering!

1 comment: