Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sour Cream Waffles

I've been doing so many breakfast recipes lately, but, as we all know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I love a nice, big breakfast. I found this waffle recipe in a cookbook a few years back, and I haven't done any other waffle recipe since. They turn out so light and delicious. I made them for my father-in-law once, and he said, "Man.. those are way better than the frozen Ego waffles!" Uhh... you think?! I don't even think those Ego waffles should be classified as waffles. They taste more like a chewy clump of preservatives.
Sour Cream Waffles:
source: It's All American Food by David Rosengarten

Ingredients:
1 c flour
3 T sugar
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 large egg, separated
3/4 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
1/2 stick butter, melted and cooled
3/4 t vanilla

This is another oops-I-forgot-to-take-pictures-of-the-process post. Sorry. These are pretty easy though.

Preheat the waffle iron. I have a Belgian waffle maker, and it works wonderfully for this recipe. Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. In another bowl, add the egg yolks (saving the whites for the next step), milk, sour cream, butter, and vanilla. Beat the egg whites in a mixer until they are fluffy and soft peaks form. Combine the flour and egg yolk mixture. Mix until just combined. Fold in the egg whites. Spray the waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour about 1 c of batter onto the griddle. Close it and let it cook. I peek after a minute or o to make sure it isn't getting burnt.

I topped mine with some leftover blueberry syrup from this pancake recipe I posted a couple weeks ago. I topped that with whipped cream and pecans. Delicious, I tell you!

No comments:

Post a Comment