Saturday, November 20, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce

It's a blueberry overload! I bought a big pack of blueberries at Costco the other day, and they were starting to go bad. I have made this recipe before and remembered that it was really good. I busted out the blueberries and started to make it. My husband, who generally doesn't like mushy cooked fruit, thought this was a delicious variation on pancakes. Then again, he'd eat probably anything with homemade whipped cream on it. I really enjoyed this recipe, and I think that I'm going to make some waffles tomorrow and use the leftover blueberry sauce.
Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce:
Source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Blueberry-Sour-Cream-Pancakes
makes 15 pancakes
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup cold water
  • 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

  • PANCAKES:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups milk
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
To start out, I halved this recipe, and there was plenty for my family. Start by mixing the cornstarch, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Stir until it is smooth.
Add the blueberries.
Bring the water to a boil. Cook and stir until it is thickened. While I was stirring it, I was smashing up the blueberries to make it a bit smoother. I think I cooked it for about five minutes.
Combine all of the pancake batter ingredients into a bowl and stir just until moistened.
Drop onto a griddle over medium heat. Just a word of warning, these pancakes are really thick. I did a couple of things- First, after I dropped the batter onto the griddle, I spread it out with my spatula. Second, I made sure to keep the heat on medium or lower so the pancakes don't get burnt on the outside but uncooked on the inside. Sprinkle the blueberries on while the first side is cooking. Once the underside is golden brown, flip it over and cook the other side until golden brown. It takes some time since they are so thick. Don't be hasty!
Once they are done, put them on a place and top with the blueberry sauce. I also topped it with homemade whipped cream. Combine 1 c heavy whipping cream, 1/4 c powdered sugar, and 1 t vanilla. Mix it in a mixing bowl on high until it looks like cool whip but trust me, it will taste a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment