Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chicken Supreme

After making this chicken, I can see why it is called supreme. It was slightly crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and the middle is oozing with butter and melted monterey jack cheese. Good golly, Miss Molly! This is definitely right up my alley. My husband cut his open, and as the butter and cheese oozed out, he said one word, "Mercy!" Enough said. Don't be intimidated by flattening and rolling up chicken. It takes a time or two to get it right without having the goods in the middle melt out during cooking, but I suppose that with enough toothpicks, anything can be secured.
Chicken Supreme:
source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Chicken-Supreme-2
4 servings

ingredients:
2 oz Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 c butter, softened
1/2 t parsley
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t marjoram
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 t seasoned salt
1/4 c flour
1 egg, beaten
1 c crumbs (original recipe calls for crushed Caesar salad croutons; I used toast crumbs)
1/4 white wine or chicken broth

Add the parsley, oregano, and marjoram to the softened butter.
Make strips of monterey jack cheese that are about 2 1/2 x 1 inch. They should be pretty thin as well. Put about 1 teaspoon of the butter mixture on top of the cheese. Refrigerate this buttered cheese and the remaining herb butter. The original recipe said to do this about 2 hours in advance. I did it about 30 minutes in advance while I was preparing the chicken, and it turned out fine.
Preheat the oven to 350.

Take a chicken breast and place it on a cutting board. Put the shiny side up and cover it with wax paper. If you're wondering why you need wax paper, just trust me. You're going to be pounding the tar out of that chicken, and unless you want flying chunks of raw chicken all over your kitchen, use the wax paper.
Use the smooth side of a meat tenderizer/meat mallet and pound it to 1/8 inch thickness. Now, if you've been super stressed all week and are expecting to use this pounding as a stress relief, it does work! However, you really don't want to pound it too hard or it will be torn to shreds. It's hard to make anything supreme with pulverized chicken.
Flip it over so the smooth and shiny side is face down. Sprinkle it with seasoned salt. get a pat of the cold butter/cheese and place it toward the widest end of the chicken.
Roll it up. Now, when you are rolling it, you have to tuck the flappy sides in as you go. Use toothpicks to hold it all together. I used four toothpicks on one of them because I didn't want the cheese to escape. And- it didn't. Nice.
Prepare three bowls: once with flour, one with the beaten egg, and one with the crumbs. I didn't have croutons on hand, so I made toast and put it in my food processor. I'd never done that before, but it seemed like a plan. I thought it turned out wonderfully. I liked the size and the texture of the bread crumbs on the outside. If you use croutons, use can put them in a food processor or in a ziplock bag and pound it or roll it with a rolling pin.

Dip the chicken in flour. Make sure every centimeter of that chicken gets covered.
Next, dip it in the egg. Again, make sure it is covered everywhere.
Lastly, roll it in the crumbs. I had to use my fingers to pat some of the crumbs on. Place the chicken roll on a greased cookie sheet.
Put the in the oven for 30 minutes.

While it is baking, prepare this wine butter sauce. Pour 1/4 c of white cooking wine (or chicken broth, if you don't like the idea of using cooking wine or regular wine) in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining herbed butter from the fridge.
Once it melts, it will look like this:
Let that simmer until the 30 minutes is up.

After the thirty minutes is over, take the chicken out and pour the sauce over the top of the chicken breasts. You can see my sauce running all over the place. A good majority of it did stay on the chicken, though! Put it back in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
Here is the end result. It doesn't look much different than the previous picture. The liquid evaporated, but more importantly, the chicken is no longer raw. Woohoo! When I put the chicken in the second time, I covered it with foil so it wouldn't brown too quickly.
Put the chicken on the serving plate an cut it in half.
Do you see what I see? Oozy deliciousness. Do you hear what I hear? Mmmm...
It's a little bit of effort, but it is worth it. I actually used this recipe with only two chicken breasts, and there was plenty to feed four people. Unless you've got that Adam dude from "Man Vs. Food"- I'm pretty sure he could down like three of these things.

I served this with rice pilaf, Mozzarella Stuffed Mushrooms, steamed broccoli (which my husband never eats), and grapes.

1 comment:

  1. Say i made this chicken it was awesome thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete