Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Spinach Salad with Honey Dressing

I like to add a little variety with my salads from time to time. I'm always looking for a new recipe to try. I found this in a Taste of Home cookbook- of course. It was really good! It used Cider Vinegar, so the vinegar taste wasn't as strong. My husband isn't much of a salad fan- especially salads with vinegarette. Honestly, he commented, "The salad was pretty good. I could have done without the vinegar in there, but since you threw some bacon in there, the salad has redeemed itself." I really liked it. I only have one picture since salad is easy to throw together.
Spinach Salad with Honey Dressing:
source: Taste of Home Celebrations
servings: 6

1 medium apple
lemon juice
3 c torn fresh spinach
3 c lettuce
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (I didn't add this)
1/2 can mandarin oranges
3 T honey roasted almonds
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

dressing: 1/4 c vegetable oil
2 T sugar
1 T cider vinegar
1 T plus 3/4 t honey
1/4 t each celery salt, onion powder, paprika, ground mustard, and lemon juice

After you slice the apples, toss them with lemon juice. This will keep them from turning brown. Clever little trick, eh? Toss all the salad ingredients in a serving bowl.

For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute. Stir to combine. Pour it on, toss it, and serve.

One note- I only used about 1/2 or less of the dressing. It made quite a bit of it. Dump it on a little at a time so you're salad isn't forced to take an unwanted swim in a pool of honey dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment