Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Carmelized Apple French Toast

I love a good breakfast. Pancakes, waffles, muffins, french toast, hash browns... not all at the same time, of course. My husband is not much of a breakfast person. He'll eat 3/4 of a pancake and call it quits. Sniff. Sniff. Well, the other morning, he left for work, and I wanted a good breakfast. I whipped this up all by myself. I didn't use a recipe for this one. I had made something similar years ago, but I don't remember where I found the recipe, so I winged it. It was delicious, but next time I won't cook the apples as long. They were a little too mushy- delicious, but mushy. Another perk to this recipe- you can use up the loaf of French Bread from last night's spaghetti dinner. Woohoo! No more wasted French bread.
Carmelized Apple French Toast:
serves 2

Caramel sauce with apples:
3 T brown sugar
1/4 c butter
1/2 apple, sliced
1/2 t cinnamon

Egg mixture:
1 egg
1/4 c milk
1 t orange juice
12 t cinnamon

French bread slices
Whipped cream

Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the butter and brown sugar.
Cook it for 2-3 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved. Add the apples and cinnamon. Cook for five minutes. Once the five minutes starts, preheat the griddle for the French Toast.
This is what it will look like once it gets hot enough. Turn the heat down to medium low.
Combine the egg, 1/4 c milk, 1 t orange juice, and 1/2 t cinnamon in a pie plate. Mix it well with a fork.
Dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture on both sides and cook them on the heated griddle. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown on the bottom.
Remove the bread and put it on a plate. Top with the carmelized apples and whipped cream. yum! Again, the apples are better when they are overcooked so watch them! There. An alternative to cereal in the morning. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment