Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Breakfast Pockets

Once again, I was craving something other than cereal for the breakfast. I wasn't quite sure what to do, but I thought some kind of breakfast sandwich would be good. I thought up this little sandwich and decided to give it a try. It was pretty good! I didn't follow any recipe, and there's really not much to it. I think next time I make this, I will do one big breakfast calzone instead of individual pockets. That would be a good way to feed a large crowd. When I do that, I'll add to this post with some pictures. I mean, my two little kids and anti-breakfast husband could gobble up about a tenth of a breakfast calzone. Anyone want to come over for breakfast?
Breakfast pockets:
source: my melon
servings: 3

1 loaf Rhodes dough, thawed
3 eggs, scrambled/cooked
1 T cream
2 T green onions, chopped
3 slices thin deli ham
3 slices American cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Break about 1/2 of the Rhodes dough off. Put 1/2 in the fridge for another use. Break the other half into three parts. Roll them out into circles. Mine was pretty thick, so I'd do it a little thinner next time. Roll them out to 1/4 inch thickness or thinner.

Crack the eggs into a skillet. Add the cream (milk will be fine, too) and green onions. Cook them over medium heat until they are cooked thoroughly. Before they start cooking, remove about 2 T of the egg mixture for brushing on at the end.

Put a slice of deli ham on the bottom. See how my ham is right on the edge of the dough? That's a big no-no. The bread will never seal if that ham is there. Make sure that you have a good 1/2 inch of dough around the edges. Top with some of the scrambled egg. Top with one piece of American cheese.
Fold the dough over. Pinch the edges to seal. If you don't make sure those edges are sealed realy well, you will have some runaway cheese during the baking process. It's one of those cooking magic tricks. You put the cheese in. You seal it. You bake it. You take it out. Poof! The cheese has magically disappeared. Wait... it's all over the baking sheet. Doh!
Once you have pressed all around the edges, use a fork to seal a little bit more.
Place the breakfast pockets on a greased cookie sheet. Brush with the reserved egg. If at this point you're thinking, "dad gummit! I forgot to save some egg!" no worries. Just crack a new one and mix it up. Brush that on. It'll be fine.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Here was my finished pocket, and you can see that stinkin' ham poking out on that side because I didn't leave enough room to seal the bread properly. hmph. It still was delicious. My kids loved them, too. This is a clever way to get kids to eat their breakfast. What kid doesn't like a sandwich or a pizza pocket? This is the same idea. I need a theme song.

No comments:

Post a Comment