Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cheddar Broccoli Soup

When I found the Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits recipe the other day, I also found this soup recipe on the same blog. I didn't have plans for dinner, and I had everything on hand for this soup. Also, it was one of the gloomiest days I can remember in Las Vegas, and I just wouldn't feel right making tacos or some other non-gloomy thought provoking foods. Soup it was! I couldn't wait to see my husband's reaction because he is not a fan of broccoli. He came home, and I told him what I made. I think his upper lip twitched a little bit. We sat down and started to eat. He started moving the soup around in his bowl as if to look for chunks of steak or something down there at the bottom of the bowl. Considering the fact that I know husband probably better than he knows himself, I said. "You don't have to eat it. I know you're not a fan of broccoli." He was grateful that my feelings weren't hurt. He did say, "I'm sure if you like broccoli, this soup would be delicious." :) He's right! It was delicious. My daughter and I scarffed it up! I even had the left-overs for lunch the next two days. I'm so glad I found this recipe. It is an awesome recipe for Cheddar broccoli soup- if you like cheddar broccoli soup.Almost-Famous Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
adapted from Food Network (I found this reference on Amberskitchen.blogspot.com)

Ingredients
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups half-and-half
3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 7-inch sourdough bread boules (round loaves)
4 cups broccoli florets (about 1 head)
1 large carrot, diced
2 1/2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated sharp white and yellow cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish

Get a stockpot on medium heat. Put the butter in there and melt it. Add the onion and cook for about five minutes. Add the flour and stir to make a paste. It will be the consistency of the paste you ate as a kid. Come on... you know you ate it! Cook the flour/onion paste for about 3 minutes. As tempting as it is, don't eat it yet!
Pour in the half and half and whisk until smooth. I didn't have half and half, so I used 1 c cream and 1 c vitamin D milk. Add the chicken broth, too. Whisk it all up.
Add the bay leaves and nutmeg. Sprinkle on some salt and pepper to taste. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.

Throw in the broccoli and carrot. Simmer 20 minutes longer so the vegetables can get tender.
Fish out the bay leaves. Pour the soup into the blender and puree. I did mine in two batches.
Put it back into the pot so you can add the cheese. The below picture is after the pureeing. I think next time I make this, I won't puree it. I think I would like the broccoli and carrot diced by hand in smaller pieces. When you puree it, it's like a karate kick in the face from broccoli with every bite. I do love broccoli, but I think I like cheese better. I'd like to have a more prominent cheese flavor instead of the broccoli flavor. There's my two cents.
Add the cheese to the soup and whisk over medium heat until melted. Save some of the cheese for garnish.

I loved this soup. It reheats well. Even my daughter wanted another bowl of it for lunch the next day. Now that winter is settling in, get your soup on! Although, Joel McHale will not appear while making or eating this soup. He would be nice to have around for comic relief though.

Again, thank you, Amber, for posting this on your blog. I loved it, and I would feel bad for not giving you the credit for finding it first. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment