Friday, October 29, 2010

Orange Knots

Once again, I found myself craving something really good for breakfast. I had used some Rhodes dough for the breakfast pockets, but I had a little left. I thought that orange rolls sounded good. I have gone to Rhodesbread.com before for recipes, so I thought I'd search there again to an orange roll-ish recipe. Sure enough- they had these orange knots. I'm glad I found them. They had delicious flavor that was not too overwhelming, and they were so light and fluffy. My daughter commented, "Wow, mom. This is the best breakfast you have ever made me." There you have it! The truth from a four year old. I think I should rename them "Pillowy orange dream rolls." That's better. :)

Pillowy Orange Dream Rolls:
source: http://www.rhodesbread.com/recipes/view/2038

makes 12

12 Rhodes™ Dinner Rolls, thawed but still cold
1 medium orange rind, grated
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted

Citrus Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Roll each roll in a nine inch rope. Be sure to help Smokey prevent forest fires, too.
Tie a knot in the dough. You'll have some of the dough hanging over the edges, but that will all blend in once the dough rises.
Melt the butter in one bowl. In another bowl, combine the sugar and orange peel. Give the knot a butter bath. Roll it around in there to get it all slathered up with butter. Mmmm... sounds tasty already.
Plop the knot into the sugar/zest mixture. A zester is one tool I don't have yet, but it is on my Christmas list. I'll keep my fingers crossed. If you're like me and don't have a zester, use a paring knife to slice off small pieces of peel at a time. I've used the small, course side on a cheese grater before, but it never seems to come off. The knife works handy dandy... for now.
Geez... it looks like this little knot of dough is getting some kind of crazy spa treatment- butter bath and sugar/orange peel mark- great for the complexion! Place the sugar coated knots on a cookie sheet. There's so much stinkin' butter on the rolls that I doubt you'll need to grease the pan.
Place them in a warm spot to rise for 40-45 minutes or until double in size. I've said this before, but I always boil water in a pyrex glass measuring cup. I put that in the microwave with the bread. It seems to rise quicker, and you don't have to worry about those pesky drafts.
Here they are after they have doubled in size. I love to make dough from scratch, but you can never go wrong with Rhodes dough. I have never had any problems with it- even when I lived in Land of Flat Cookies, Idaho. I love Rhodes dough. :)

Preheat the oven to 350. Bake them for 15-20 minutes. Mine were in there for about 17 and came out just right. While they are baking, mix the glaze ingredients.
When the rolls come out, they will look like pillowy orange dream rolls. Yum!
Brush the glaze on the rolls. I was pretty generous on the brushing to make sure they were flavorful and sticky.
Serve them up! My daughter was just staring at them when I put them on the table. Her and my son each ate the whole roll! I couldn't believe it. I ate two myself. And I wonder where my thighs come from. Hmph. If your family tires of cinnamon rolls, give these a shot. They're delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Callie, What is your opinion of whole wheat rhodes dough? Maybe I should try the whole wheat version & let you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bethany! I've had the Rhodes whole wheat rolls as rolls but have never done anything else with them. They make great rolls, but I'm not sure they would fit the bill for this recipe. Maybe though. If you try it, you'll have to let me know.

    ReplyDelete