Saturday, October 2, 2010

Chocolate Cake

In my opinion, everyone needs a go-to from-scratch chocolate cake recipe. This would be mine. I've been making this for about five years. When we had company tonight, I realized that I had not planned a dessert. Do I panic? Nope. I whip up this tasty cake, and I don't get a complaint from anyone. There was a 20 month old here tonight, and he would not stop eating it. My daughter didn't finish her big ol' piece, so he was picking at it. His aunt said, "No, no, no." He looked at her, shoved a big chunk in his mouth, and ran off. We were cracking up. As for the cake, it is just as easy as a mix. You might have to add three more ingredients to this. I think it's worth the extra few ingredients. It is perfect alongside vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream- you know the stuff in the can. We call it the sound that it makes- kwwwoot. Keep this one on hand for a quick, delicious dessert that will impress any company.

Again, I made this on the fly, so I didn't take pictures while making it.

Chocolate Cake:
adapted from Taste of Home 50th Anniversary Cookbook

2 c sugar
1 3/4 c flour
3/4 cocoa
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 eggs
1 c milk
1/2 c vegetable oil
2 t vanilla
1 c boiling water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Put the dry ingredients into your electric mixer bowl. Add the other ingredients. Mix on medium speed for two minutes. The batter will be thin because of the water. Pour into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cool it completely.

Frosting:
1/2 butter, melted
2/3 c cocoa
3 c powdered sugar
1/3 c milk
1 t vanilla

Put all the frosting ingredients into a bowl and mix. How easy is that?! It comes out just right. Spread the frosting on the cake. Mmm...mmm...good.

No comments:

Post a Comment