Saturday, October 2, 2010

Callie's Guacamole

If I was a poet, I'd write an ode to guacamole.

oh, guacamole, you're not smooth but chunky.
I can eat you whenever I want because I'm not a monkey.

I know. That was ridiculously bad. You may just shake your head and refuse to continue reading. I promise there are no more odes below. I'm not a poet, obviously. I couldn't think of anything else that rhymes with "chunky" so "monkey" it is! :) Anyway, I love the stuff. I love going to restaurants to see the different ways they do it at tableside. I keep it in mind so I can repeat it at home. This is the recipe I came up with over the years of making it at home, and I think it's a keeper for sure.

Callie's Guacamole:
4 ripe avocados
1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
3 T onion, finely diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/3 c cilantro
juice of 2 limes
1 T orange juice
1 T sour cream
1/2 t salt
1/4 t chili powder
1/4 t cumin
1/8 t onion powder
dash paprika
Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. I stick a paring knife right into the pit and twist it. It usually comes right out. Scoop out the fruit with a spoon.
Mash it all up with a fork. Some folks like it more chunky than others, so mash until you get to the consistency that you like.

Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Taste it to see what you think. Some may like more salt, some may like more lime juice or cilantro. Change it to what you like. All I know is that since I have made my own guacamole, I can't eat the store bought stuff. I have no clue what they do to that stuff, but it is hideous! This is easy and much more delicious. It will revolutionize your Mexican food!

No comments:

Post a Comment