Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Garlic Knots

Since I started this little blog, I have been perusing other food blogs as well. It's a dangerous world out there! I could literally spend hours looking at sites and finding recipes I cannot wait to try. This is one of them. I found them at this site:
http://amberskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/10/knots-from-heaven.html
She entitled them "Knots from Heaven" and I second that! These things were ridiculous. I think I saw an angel float down and place one on my plate while the other angels sang a chorus of Hallelujas. I could eat them with every meal. The were soft and pillowy (add that word to my dictionary of made up words.) The garlic/butter/herb mixture on the outside was just the right touch to an already perfect roll. I am so happy that I found this recipe. I don't know Amber of Amber's kitchen, but if she's got recipes like this, I thinks she rules! I hope your family can enjoy them as much as mine did. They really are simple to make and very simple to put together. If you're afraid of making homemade bread... there's no need! Just try it. Then, you too, can have a piece of heaven along with your dinner. I mean, come on, how often do angels put food on your plate... really? :)

Garlic Knots:
adapted from amberskitchen.blogspot.com (see link above)

Ingredients
Dough
3 c bread flour ( I used all purpose and they were still wonderful)
1/4 c milk
1 T sugar
2 t instant yeast
1-1/4 t salt
2 T olive oil
1 c + 2 T lukewarm water
Glaze
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T melted butter
1/4 t Italian seasoning, optional

I put all the dough ingredients right into my bread machine and put it on the dough setting. So simple! If you don't have a bread machine, put it on your Christmas list, and then follow the remaining instructions. Add the dry ingredients into a stand mixer. Use the dough attachment if you have it. Add the remaining ingredients. Let it mix until it is smooth looking. Take it out, put it in a greased bowl, cover it, and let it rise in a warm place for about an hour.

Once it's done, break it up into 8 pieces. I did about 10 pieces to make some smaller rolls, and I think I liked the smaller ones better. If you want to do smaller rolls, break the dough into 12-15 pieces.

If you have little helpers in the kitchen (children, not munchkins), they love this next part. Roll the dough into snakes. Woohoo! They need to be about 8-10 inches long. My daughter had so much fun with this.

Continue with all the wads of dough. Now you have a snake battalion.












Now, you will make the knots. Don't be scared. it's really quite simple. I tried taking a picture after each step so it could be more clear.


Step 1 (above): Make a fish out of the dough. It's clear that I'm an elementary school teacher.

Step 2 (top right): Take the dough hanging off to the left and push it under and up through the middle.

Step 3 (right): Take the dough piece hanging off to the right and bring it over the top, through the middle, and tuck it under.

Place the rolls on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Let them rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Mine were in the microwave with a bowl of hot water for about 30 minutes.










I think mine got a little too puffy, but they started like the picture on the right and ended up like the picture on the left. I think if I used bread flour, they would have risen a bit differently. I'll find out next time I make them. Nonetheless, they were delicious.

Bake them in a 350 degree oven for 15-18 minutes.

While they are baking, prepare the buttery, garlicky, herby goodness that gets brushed on top.

Melt the butter in a small bowl or a ramekin (isn't that a fun word to say?) I have a garlic press, so I used that to mince the garlic. If you don't have a garlic press, you can chop it up, put it in a food processor, or use the pre-minced garlic in water. Do not use garlic powder or garlic salt to substitute. It's got to be real garlic chunks. Once the garlic is in, add the Italian seasoning. Stir it up.


Once they come out of the oven, the will be very light in color. Brush them with the butter stuff, and you'll start to hear the Hallelujah choir chime in. They are divine!


They aren't as knotty as I'd like, but I'll take these buttered, garlic, herb blobs any day of the week.






Here are some pictures from the inside texture.










It's brings a tear to my eye. Lovely. I think devouring these rolls alongside some pasta with homemade sauce should be on everyone's bucket list. :)

Again, thank you Amber from Amber's kitchen for sharing this delightful recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment