Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake

This recipe is a classic! This brings back memories of cold winter nights, and the smell of this would waft through the house while I was bundled up on the couch watching movies. My mom used to make this all the time, and I am thrilled to be making it for my own family now. The thing I love about this recipe is that is fulfills so many cravings. I want something... cakey. I want something... fudgy. I want something.... puddingy. I want something... with ice cream. Check. Check. Check. Check. Problem solved. And do not leave this for a cold winter night. I just made it in Las Vegas at the end of August. Do you know how hot it got today? Probably about 107 degrees. Guess what? This recipe is just as good on a hot summer day.

Sorry I don't have any more photos. I was in a hurry to make it, so I just got the after shots.

Just to be sure... Do you see that fudgy stuff... yeah. That is how this recipe comes out. Cake on the top and fudge on the bottom. I think a kitchen magician created this recipe.

Hot Fudge Pudding Cake
from Favorite Brand Name Best-Loved Recipes of All Time

1 1/4 c sugar, divided
1 c flour
7 T cocoa, divided
2 t baking powder
1/4 t salt
1/2 c milk
1/3 c butter, melted
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/2 packed brown sugar
1 1/4 c hot water
Ice Cream

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together 3/4 c sugar, flour, 3 T cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add the milk, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir it smooth. Pour it into a 8 or 9 inch square pan or something similar. You could probably use a circular or oval pan, but I'm not very good at converting square pan dimensions to circular pans. If you have a triangular pan, you're outta luck.

Combine the remaining sugar, the remaining cocoa, and the brown sugar. Sprinkle it over the batter. Pour the hot water over the top. Do not mix! Bake it for 40 minutes. Let it rest for about ten minutes. This is what you get. What's even more miraculous than this recipe is...
This! Within a matter of minutes, it all disappears. Dang! Where did it all go? Maybe I'll ask my husband. :) This is a family classic that will never die. Live on Hot Fudge Pudding Cake!
Just for the record, my husband is the best. Without him, I wouldn't have someone to give me support and encouragement for this.

3 comments:

  1. oh, I love pudding cakes! We add strawberries to this on :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute blog Callie...I am adding you to my blog if you don't mind so I can see every time you post. I definitely need some cooking motivation. My poor hubby. LOL

    Oh and do you have a personal blog too? You can link to mine by clicking on my name or just go to
    http://yeefamily2008.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! Strawberries would be so good on here. Thanks, Jessica.

    Shauni- Thanks! I'd love to have you follow my blog. :) I don't have a personal blog... yet. Maybe that will come soon. We shall see. Maybe one of these days I'll bring some leftovers desserts from all the recipes I'm trying.

    ReplyDelete