Friday, August 27, 2010

Kielbasa Calzone

This is another recipe that I created to use up what I had in my kitchen. My husband and I thought it turned out delicious. If you're not a kielbasa fan, you probably won't use this, but the possibilities for filling are endless.
  • Mozzarella, pepperoni, olives
  • Canadian bacon and pineapple
  • Ham and Swiss
  • taco filling and cheddar
I could go on and on. This is one of those easy to make and delicious to eat recipes. Here's a picture of what I whipped up:
Once again, this is a really easy recipe.

Kielbasa Calzone:
1 loaf frozen dough, thawed (I used Rhodes)
Kielbasa sausage
2 T olive oil
1/3 c chopped onion
1/4 c tart apple, cored, and chopped into small pieces
3/4 c cheddar cheese
2 T dijon mustard
1 egg yolk
sesame seeds

Put the oil in a skillet and heat over medium-high. Add the kielbasa, onion, and apple. For the Kielbasa, I used half of the package. I didn't have an apple when I made this last night, but I have used it before. It's really good with a little apple in there. Saute for about 5-8 minutes.

Turn off the heat and let it sit in the pan while you prepare the bread. Use a rolling pin to roll the bread into a rectangle of 12x10ish. Brush the dijon mustard on it. Add the cheddar cheese to the middle third of the bread. I used thin slices, but shredded works fine, too.

Top it with the kielbasa, keeping it all in the middle of the rectangle.

Fold the sides over the kielbasa. Make sure you press all edges together to seal it. If you don't, you're going to have an onslaught of juicy juices coming out of the calzone. Brush all showing sides of the calzone with the egg yolk. Sprinkle it with sesame seeds.
Bake it in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. When you take it out, it will be a nice golden brown.

Slice it and serve.

I have served this with loaded mashed potatoes, a green salad, and some sort of fruit side.

1 comment: