Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Baked French Toast Muffins

You've got to love the Christmas season.  Shopping every day for a Christmas party, gift exchange, work gathering, baking extravaganza.  It's madness!  Well, when I go out, I try to take my two year old since she is cooped up at home all day.  If you've ever had a two-year-old, you know eventful a simple trip to pick up a couple things can be.  She is in this stage now where she fancies bringing about 80 random objects into the car and always insists on taking all of them into whatever store we are venturing into.  Well, today, she had a shoebox filled with three little baby blankets, a pine cone, a rock, a fake flower, a little stuffed hippo, a small purse, and a bouncy ball.  When it was time to go into Target, I told her that she couldn't take her box.  Oh, no, I didn't!  She wigged out!  She was screaming and flailing about and letting the entire block of Silverado Ranch and Eastern that she wanted to take her box into Target.  I calmly held her and said that she wasn't taking her box.  As she screamed like Christmas was canceled, I got dirty looks by passerbys and police officers considering taking me in for child abuse.  Finally, I saw a police car parked out front.  I said, "Hey, Scarlet, do you want to see the lights on a police car?"  She calmly replied, "Okay."  That was that.  The end.  I laughed about the whole thing a few minutes after it was over, but I laughed harder at the picture that my eight year old drew to depict the situation:


I love how my hands are up in the air with a tornado of confusion/frustration above my head.  I'm glad my older daughter can bring humor to situations like this and laugh at my craziness of being a mom of three.  

Anyway- these little French Toast muffins are tasty!  My family loved them, and they are a bit different than your usual French Toast.  They taste the same but are in cute little muffin form!  What's not to love?!


Baked French Toast Muffins
source: http://www.averiecooks.com/2014/12/baked-french-toast-muffins.html

3 lg eggs
1/2 c milk
1 T brown sugar
1 T sugar
2 t cinnamon
1 t vanilla
8 slices bread

Preheat oven to 350

Prepare your muffin tin.  Grease each muffin cup very well.  I used the PAM with flour, and it worked like a charm!

Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix well.

Use a pizza cutter to slice each slide of bread into 1 inch cubes.  Add the bread cubes into the egg mixture and toss to combine.  Let it rest for 3-5 minutes to allow the egg mixture to soak into the bread.

Spoon some of the mixture into the muffin cups until it's about 3/4 full.  This will be enough to fill all 12 muffin cups.

Bake for 25 minutes or until the tops are light brown.  Start checking around 20 minutes to ensure they don't burn.

Take them out and let them cool for 5-10 minutes.

Drizzle with syrup and perhaps some butter because butter makes everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment