Sunday, November 23, 2014

Fresh Cranberry Chutney

There is a girl that blogs recipes at melskitchencafe.com, and I take her word like gospel.  Every recipe of hers that I have tried is amazing.  In fact, if Mel and Martha Stewart were standing in front of me trying to offer cooking advice, I'd tell Martha to take a hike!  Get your orange jumpsuit, Martha!  You're dead to me! 

I was hunting for a cranberry sauce last year, and it was my first time ever making it!  Of course I went to melskitchencafe.com by default, and I found this gem of a recipe.  It has raisins, apples, celery, and onion in it which is a little different, but sweet mercy it is delicious!  My dad walked in and saw me carrying cranberries.  I didn't get a "Hello! How are you?"  I got, "Is that regular cranberries or cranberry chutney?"  I don't even think he smiled at me!  He is serious about his love for this cranberry chutney!  I see no reason to ever make another type of cranberries, and for the love of all that is holy, do not use the canned stuff!!  
Fresh Cranberry Chutney

Fresh Cranberry Chutney

makes about 4 cups

4 c fresh cranberries
1 c dried raisins or craisins
1/2 c white sugar
3/4 c packed brown sugar
2 t cinnamon
1/2 t ginger
1/4 t cloves
1 c water
1/2 finely minced onion
1/2 c chopped granny Smith apple, peeled an cored
1/2 finely chopped celery

In a medium saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the berries start to pop, about 5-7 minutes.

Add the onion, apple, and celery.  Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until it starts to thicken, 5-10 more minutes.  

Transfer to a container, cool slightly, an refrigerate overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment