Sunday, November 23, 2014

Classic Thanksgiving Stuffing

One quick anecdote...  We were sitting around eating the dinner the other night and as soon as there was a lull in the conversation (that doesn't happen often with two daughters), my first grade son said, "My favorite compound word is buttcheek."  Generally, I wouldn't go for that kind of language at the dinner table, but we were all laughing so hard, I couldn't get mad at him.  You never know what those kids are going to say!

Oh, stuffing.  I wouldn't go near the stuff when I was a kid, but I love it now!  The first time I made this stuffing, my dad protested because it was not my mom's classic stuffing that she's been making since the dawn of time.  His attitude quickly changed when he took his first bite!  This stuffing is great.  It's just your classic stuffing- no cornbread, sausage, craisins, roasted duck, or whatever else folks put in stuffing. That's all fine and dandy, but this recipe is a keeper, and it'll complete any Thanksgiving table.  The eggs may throw you for a loop, but don't leave them out!  When you bake it, the eggs will give the top a nice crunch.  Because honestly... who wants soggy stuffing?  Not me! 

Classic Stuffing by America's Test Kitchen

12 servings

12 T butter
4 celery ribs, chopped fine
2 onions, minced
1/2 c fresh parsley, minced
2 t dried sage
1 t dried thyme
1 t marjoram
3 lbs. white bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes and dried
4 c low sodium chicken broth
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 t salt
2 t pepper

Melt the butter in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the celery and onions.  Cook for ten minutes until the onions are softened- about ten minutes.  Stir in the fresh and dried herbs, stir, an cook for one minute longer.

Transfer to a very large bowl.  Add the dried bread, broth (I only used about 3 cups), eggs, salt, and pepper to the onion mixture.  Toss to combine.  Just to warn you- if your bowl isn't big enough, you're going to have bread chunks, onions, and celery flying all over the place.

Put the mixture into a 10x15 inch baking dish.  Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Remove the foil and continue to bake for 30 minutes longer.  

Cool for ten minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment