Thursday, October 2, 2014

Grilled Pork Chops with Basil-Garlic Rub

My poor students....  As an online teacher, I tend to have a little too much fun with my lessons.  I always throw in cheesy jokes, pictures of superheroes talking about sedimentary rocks, and ridiculous memes.  For example, I was teaching about limestone, and I found a picture of a lime with the head, arms, and legs of Optimus Prime, and it said, "I am Optimus Lime."  See what I mean?!  It's the kind of humor that makes you shake your head in shame and say a little prayer for me in the hopes that I'll grow up at some point in my 30's.  Well, some of my students appreciate the humor.  One of my students stayed after class to tell me a joke that made me laugh out loud.  Here it goes... Brace yourself...

Q: How many South Americans does it take to change a light bulb?
A: A Brazilian!

Ha!  Get it?  Instead of a bazillion... Sigh.

That story has absolutely nothing to do the recipe.  It just made me laugh, and when life is so busy all the time, I've got to find humor in anything to keep my sanity!  :)

As for this recipe, when I told my husband that I was making pork chops for dinner, he had the look on his face like a dejected fan whose team just lost the Super Bowl.  "But Mother Mary appeared to me in my bowl of Corn Flakes and swore that the Broncos would win!"   He's never really liked pork chops, so he hesitantly took a bite of these and his jaw dropped.  He said that they were the best pork chops he'd ever eaten!  Woot, woot!  The marinade is delicious, and they cook up so quickly.  He actually polished off the kids' portions that weren't eaten.  Between eating pork chops and zucchini in one sitting and asking for seconds of both- my mind was blown.  This recipe is a keeper.  It's easy, fast, and delicious.

Grilled Pork Chops with Basil-Garlic Rub
source: http://worldsbestrecipes4utoday.blogspot.com/2013/12/grilled-pork-chops-with-basil-garlic-rub.html#.UqOaW86mX4s

4 pork chops, 3/4 in thick
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 c fresh basil leaves, packed
2 T lemon juice
2 T olive oil
1 t salt
1/2 t black pepper

Alright, folks.  This gets a little difficult.  Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until it makes a thin, wet rub.  Put it in a Ziplock bag and add the pork chops.  Let it marinate in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.

Prepare the grill to medium-high heat.  Grill the pork chops for 5-6 minutes per side or until a thermometer reaches 145 degrees for the internal temperature of the pork.  Let the pork rest for three minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment