Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Apple Nut Muffins

Let me take you back to the last week of September.  My kids had already started begging me to let them put up Halloween stuff.  I put it off as long as I could, but the last Saturday before October I gave in.  I brought out my giant bin of Halloween decorations, set it inside, and I went back outside to finish cleaning the garage.  My kids took it upon themselves to put out all the decorations- in the best way that they could as a 6 and 8 year old.  It was all I could do with my OCD issues to let some things be different than they have been for years and years.  Luckily, I baked some of these tasty muffins to mellow me out.  These were great!

If you read the post that goes along with the Caramel Apple Pie, I still have some apples from my friend that gave me a giant load of apples and pears!  They are never going away!  When I went to get apples from her, she handed me some photocopied pages of a small cookbook and smiled.  When I read the title, it was a "Fall Baking Cookbook" and there was a whole section on orchard fruit baked goods.  Oh, dear!  I could have made a different one every day of the week for two weeks!  I did try these muffins, which were phenomenal.  My kids gobbled them up,  

Source: From a small "Fall Baking" cookbook from a friend

1 1/2 c flour
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c oats
1 T baking powder
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/8 t nutmeg
1/8 t ginger
1 c coarsely chopped peeled apples
1/2 c chopped walnuts
1/2 c chopped pitted dates (I omitted these- mainly because I think they look like mummified cockroaches)
1/2 c butter, melted and cooled
2 eggs
1/4 c milk

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease muffin tins or use paper muffin liners.

Combine the flour, brown sugar, oats, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and ginger in a large bowl.  Add the apples, walnuts, and dates (If using)

In a small bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, and milk until well-mixed.  Stir into dry ingredients until all the flour is incorporated.  Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.  It makes 12 muffins.

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  

Cool and eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment