Saturday, October 25, 2014

Amazing BBQ chicken

So, I have this two year old daughter.  She is the cutest thing, but man have the terrible twos started!  She used to go to bed with no problem.  Apparently, she has jumped on the "I hate bedtime" bandwagon all of the sudden.  The other night, I was getting her a drink.  She spotted her cup being filled, and she instantly started screaming and ran under the table.  I moved a chair to be able to reach her, and she continued to scream as she scurried to the other side of the table.  Sigh.  I'm getting way too old for this!  Finally, I got down, grabbed her by one leg, and dragged her out.  Her screams pierced the ears of everyone within a mile radius, I'm sure.  As I was walking her upstairs, calmly talking to her to see what she wanted, she continuously screamed, "NOO!" at everything I suggested.  I get into her room,  She's flailing about, boneless and squirmy.  I ask her if she wants me to read some books.  
"NOOO! WAA!" 
 "Uh... How about I put you in your crib and you can just scream?"  
"NOOOO!"  
"Do you want a story about your baby hippo?" 
 "Noo!"  She's really laying it on thick and trying to escape my clutches.  
"Okay, do you want another story about a crocodile like last night?"
"NOO!!"  I'm ready to call a priest over to exercise the demons at this point.
Out of desperation I ask, "Do you want a story about cheese?"
"Okay." 
Then silence.  She rested her head on my shoulder as if she wasn't throwing a massive tantrum the size of Mt. Rushmore and patiently listened, awaiting a story about cheese.  Well, folks, I told her a wonderful cheesy story about cheese, and she was good to go. 
I couldn't help but laugh after the fact that it was cheese that calmed her down.  I, for one, love cheese, and it makes me happy.  :)  

Surprisingly, this chicken recipe is cheese free!  Ahh!  It's a miracle!  I CAN cook things without cheese and heavy cream. This BBQ sauce just may be my new favorite.  It is so flavorful, and the consistency was perfect.  I can't wait to try it on ribs!  I know that buying a bottle of BBQ sauce is loads easier, but this sauce's deliciousness is well worth the effort and will blow any other bottled sauce out of the water.  Now that it's fall and just in time for BBQ weather... er...  Hey!  if you live in Las Vegas, it's always BBQ weather!  :)  

Enjoy!

Amazing Grilled Chicken
Source: BBQ sauce recipe "Still House Barbecue Sauce" from Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades by Steven Raichlen

1 c whiskey
1 c ketchup
1 c cider vinegar
1 c packed dark brown sugar
1/2 c onion, finely minced
2 T Worcestershire Sauce
1 T Tabasco (or less if you want less heat)
1/2 t black pepper
1/4 t liquid smoke

2 Chicken breasts
Your favorite rub or seasoning (I used Magic Dust from Memphis BBQ)

Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan.  Bring to boil over high heat.  Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until thickened, about 20-30 minutes.  Stir every once in awhile.

The sauce will reduce quite a bit from the simmering, but it makes it thick and flavorful.

While the sauce is simmering, preheat the grill to medium.

Slice the chicken breasts in half lengthwise, so they are thin.  Sprinkle both sides with the rub or seasoning of your choice.

Grill the chicken over medium heat for 5-6 minutes per side.  After the second side has cooked, baste it with some of the BBQ sauce.  Flip it and baste the other side.  Let it cook for one minute longer.

Serve with your favorite sides like potato salad, corn bread muffins, baked beans, corn on the cob, or whatever else you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment