Thursday, May 30, 2013

Mexican Street Corn

My son was building a city out of Legos the other day.  Being a child of the 80's, I asked him, "Did you build that city on rock'n'roll?"  After he glared at me with a perplexed look, he asked, "What does that mean?"  I turned to good ol' Youtube and pulled up the Jefferson Starship video for "We built this City."  It was hard for him to listen to the music because he couldn't get past the fact that the girls had crazy, feathery, mullet-ish boy haircuts, and the boys had on more make-up than the girls.  In the background of the video, they were showing some scenes from Las Vegas.  I saw one hotel that has since been imploded, and I mentioned that to him.  He asked, "What does imploded mean?"  I quickly turned off the 80's cheesiness that is Jefferson Starship and googled implosion videos.  The next seventeen minutes was spent watching a compilation of 2012's best implosions.  His eyes were glued to the computer.  After the seventeen minutes was over, he went back over to his city.  I don't think that he gave rock'n'roll a second thought because he was trying to figure out how he could blow-up his city.  You've gotta love boys.

I'd like to see an implosion up-close, and when I do, I'm going to make this corn to gnaw on while I watch it.  This corn was so tasty!  The lime zest and juice was a nice touch.  My husband, who generally only prefers corn when it is popped and smothered in butter and salt, ate three pieces of this corn.  He said that it was the best corn he'd ever eaten.  I might have to agree.  It was incredible, and it is a good side dish for any Mexican feast you're having.  Ole'!  

Mexican Street Corn
source: Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publications Mexican edition

6 large ears of corn, husked and silks removed
1/2 c snipped fresh cliantro
1 T ancho chile powder
2 t lime zest
1/4 to 1/2 t cayenne pepper
1/4 c melted butter
2 T mayonnaise
2 T sour cream
2 T lime juice
cotija cheese

Boil your ears of corn according to package directions.  Once it is cooked, turn off the heat and let it sit in the water while you prepare the rest.

In a small bowl , stir together the cilantro, ancho chile powder, lime zest, and cayenne pepper.  Set aside.

In another bowl, mix the melted butter, mayonnaise, sour cream, and lime juice.

Remove the corn from the water, drain.

Brush the butter-mayonnaise mixture onto the cooked corn.  Sprinkle the cilantro mix onto the corn.  Place on a serving platter and garnish with Cotija cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment