Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Glaze

I have recently discovered geocaching, and I love it!  Over Spring Break, my brother, his son, my three kids, and I all went on a geocaching hunt.  We were walking along a walking trail off the side off a state highway by my house.  Most of the geocaches were right on the trail, but one was about 350 meters away.  I started pushing the stroller across the desert, but the ground got too rocky.  I took my baby out, left the strolled about 20 yards off the path, and we continued walking.  It wasn't long before there was a car parked off the side of the road, most likely assuming that someone had abandoned their baby out in the Las Vegas desert.  We trekked on, found the geocache, and headed back.  My brother went back to get the stroller, and I went with all the kids to find another one straight ahead.  As we got closer to the trail, I noticed that the car that was pulled off on the side of the road was slowly following my brother as he pushed the stroller towards us.  After a couple minutes, the car must have seen me carrying the baby because it zoomed off like a bat out of you know where.  Not one minute later, a cop car pulls up.  He sees that I have the baby, and she is perfectly fine.  Luckily, he was a really cool cop.  He said, "Sorry, folks.  Some people are so nosy!  This crazy old lady called in six times giving us an update every time a movement was made."  He showed us the screen in his car, and she had given them a full description of my brother and how he took the stroller and where he was pushing it.  The cop was rolling his eyes the whole time.  He said, "Besides, you guys are the only ones that use this trail anyway!  12 million dollars down the drain."  Every time I hang out with my brother, something crazy like this happens.  Never a dull moment with that one!

Anyway, this pork... It is wonderful.  It came out perfectly cooked.  The spice rub and glaze gave it a delicious flavor.  Even my five year old, who barely eats anything other than cereal, baby corn dogs, and grilled cheese sandwiches said, "This meat is delicious!"  I about fell out of my chair.  It really is good, quick, and a real family-pleaser.  I could have mopped that glaze up with every last slice of the pork.  It is so tasty! Serve this with some rice pilaf, corn on the cob, and fresh fruit, and you've got a delicious meal that will make everyone happy.  And who doesn't want everyone to be happy?

 Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Sweet Glaze
source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/grilled-pork-tenderloin-with-corn-on-the-cob-recipe/index.html

Pork:
1 T paprika
2 t Kosher salt
1/2 t pepper
1 t packed brown sugar
1 t cumin
1 t ground mustard
1/2 onion powder
1/2 t garlic powder
2 t olive oil
2 small pork tenderloins

Glaze:
3/4 c apple cider vinegar
1/2 c water
3 T packed brown sugar
2 T ketchup
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1 t kosher salt

For the pork:
Combine the all the dry ingredients for the rub (paprika through garlic powder).  use your fingers to mix it together.  Rub the olive oil all over the pork.  Coat with the spice rub.  Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3-6 hours.

For the sauce:
Combine the vinegar, water, brown sugar, ketchup, red pepper flakes, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a simmer and stir until the sugar dissolves.  Remove from the heat.  Set aside.  I actually kept simmering mine while the pork cooked, so it was thicker.  I thought it turned out wonderful like that.

Take out the pork 30 minutes before you're going to grill it.  Preheat the grill to medium-high.  Cook the pork for about 20 minutes (ten minutes on each side) or until the interior registers 140-145.  Transfer it to a cutting board and let it sit for 15 minutes.

Slice the pork and drizzle with the glaze.


No comments:

Post a Comment