Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Bourbon Chicken over Rice (without Bourbon)

This recipe is quick, easy, and ridiculously delicious.  I think my daughter inhaled hers in about one minute flat.  She told me that she would give me her My Little Pony collection if I'd give her a few more pieces off of my plate.  That's little girl gold, people!  I will make this time and time again.  
Bourbon Chicken over Rice (without Bourbon)
source: justgetoffyoubuttandbake.com
serves: 5

5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 to 2-inch cubes
2 T oil
1 t garlic
1/4 c apple or pineapple juice
1/3 c brown sugar
2 T ketchup
1 T apple cider vinegar (or 3 T chicken broth)
1/2 c water
1/3 c soy sauce
pinch red pepper flakes
1 T cornstarch

Heat up the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken and cook for about ten minutes, stirring often to make sure the chicken is browned evenly on all sides.  Drain any juices from the cooked chicken.

In a bowl, combine the apple or pineapple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, water, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and cornstarch.  Mix until smooth.  Add this sauce to the chicken.  Stir it around to evenly coat the chicken.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered.  Just make sure the lid is off a little bit to let some of the evaporation escape. Let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times.  If it gets too thick, thin it out with a bit of chicken broth.

Serve over rice and garnish with green onions, if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment