Friday, August 31, 2012

Identity Crisis Brownies

Pop quiz time! I know you're excited.

1. How do you know that it is the first week of school? (keep in mind that I work for an online public school)
A. Someone stops by my house at 3:45 in the afternoon, and I'm still in my pajamas.
B. The dinners around here generally consist of something that can be purchased in a drive-thru while I'm still wearing my pajamas.
C. The bag of Oreos in the cupboard disappeared alarmingly fast.
D. When my kids draw a picture of me, I'm stuck behind the screen of a computer.
E. The majority of the recipes on here are sweets because if I don't have a constant supply of sweets, I'm crazy.  
F. All of the above

Correct answer is... drumroll... F!  It's been an insanely busy week, and I have had my fair share of sweets.  Someone once said that man cannot live off of bread alone. Probably not.  Can woman live off of sweets alone?  Absolutely.  I browsed through a bunch of recipes hunting for something to satisfy my insatiable sweet tooth, and I found this brownie.  Now, it's original name is not "identity crisis brownies."  I named it that because one second they seemed more fudgy than cakey.  They next minute they seemed more cakey than fudgy.  The darn brownies can't make up their minds.  Either way, they are delicious.   They didn't go stale for days!  I was amazed that they still were good to eat on day 4, but I'm not sure how they lasted that long.


Identity Crisis Brownies

1 1/4 c flour
1 t salt
2 T cocoa powder
11 oz dark chocolate, chopped
1 c (2 sticks) butter, cut into one inch pieces
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
5 eggs, at room temperature
2 t vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 pan.

In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder.

Place the chocolate (I actually used 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips, and 6 oz milk chocolate.  Not because I think it is some magical combination but because it was what I had on hand) and butter in a microwave-safe bowl and place in the microwave for one minute, stirring after 30 seconds.  Continue to microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is melted and smooth.

Add the sugars to the chocolate mixture.  Stir well.  Let the mixture sit for a few minutes to get to room temperature.

Add three eggs to the chocolate mixture and mix until well combined.  Add the remaining two eggs, mixing well.  Don't overbeat the brownies.

Sprinkle the flour mixture over the chocolate mixture.  Using a rubber spatula, fold together until the flour is barely incorporated.    

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.  Bake for 30 minutes, rotating after 15 minutes.  

When they come out, there should be a few moist crumbs on a toothpick that has been inserted into the middle.  Let them cool for as long as you can.  :)  We only last about ten minutes round here, although the recipes always say "cool completely."  Right.  That's like placing a nice pile of garbage in front of a goat and telling it not eat it.  Not gonna happen!

Serve with a nice, tall glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment