Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Shrimp Scampi with Linguine

I went to Koh'ls today with my five week old, and this grandma wearing a white cotton co-ordinate outfit with floral arrangments on it came up behind me and wascarrying on about how little and cute she was.  Once I told her that the baby's name was Scarlet she said,  "Oh- I just saw Scarlet 'Yohansen' in "We Bought a Zoo.  She was fantastic!"  Then she starts on with a Marco Polo exchange with her husband who was wandering somewhere around in the men's sock department.  She called, "Lenny!  Where are you, Lenny?" I heard a distant reply, "Shirley?  Where are ya, Shirley?"  This continued on about five times back and forth until they finally found each other.  I had to laugh.  Then, she asked him where he got the socks from that he was carrying around.  He responded, "I don't remember."  "How can you not remember?!"  "Honestly, Shirley, you really expect me to remember?"  I wanted to follow these two around all day.

After a successful trip to Kohl's to get some pants, I came home and made this quick and easy meal.  I craved shrimp nonstop when I was pregnant, but I wasn't supposed to eat it.  I was thrilled to finally get to make something with shrimp.  I found this recipe on Melskitchencafe.com, and I loved it!  I love every stinkin' recipe I have tried from her website.  Mel, I salute you!  This recipe is not knock-you-to-the-floor delicious, but it is wonderful.  I loved the light butter-garlic-parsley sauce.  I served it with some Heat-before-you-eat Le Brea Focaccia rolls and a salad.  Delicioso! 

Shrimp Scampi with Linguine
source: Melskitchencafe.com 
4 servings

Canola/vegetable oil
salt
3 T butter
2 1/2 T olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails trimmed (I used the frozen precooked ones and just trimmed off the tails)
1/4 t freshly cracked pepper
3/4 t salt
3 T chopped parsley
zest from one lemon
2 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 t red pepper flakes
6 oz linguine

Boil salted water and add a little olive oil.  Cook the linguine as directed on the package.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan with the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add the garlic and saute for about one minute.


 Add the shrimp, salt, and pepper.  Saute for a couple minutes until the shrimp is cooked through.  If it is fresh, cook it until the shrimp turns pink, about five minutes.  If it is frozen and thawed, cook about three minutes or until heated through.
 Zest the lemon.
 Once the shrimp is cooked, add the lemon zest, lemon juice, parsley, and red pepper flakes. Stir to combine.
 Once the pasta is done, drain it.  Put it back in the pot and add the shrimp mixture.  Toss to combine. 
There you have it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment