Saturday, June 16, 2012

Honey Sesame Chicken

This week I was attending a graduation for a school which shall be unnamed.  It was more a promotion ceremony for 8th graders.  Anywho:  Here is a list of some of the things I saw (all 8th graders)
  • A skin tight little black dress that went about an inch below the booty cheeks.
  • An open-back dress showing a back full of tattoos
  • A girl dressed in Hogwarts garb wearing a toy light saber on her belt (I kid you not!)
  • A nose and lip ring on the same girl
  • Four different colored hair (think cotton candy colors- bright pink, purple, blue)
  • Enough cleavage to make even Dolly Parton jealous
I couldn't believe my eyes!  I was a pretty unique kid in high school, but even this is way beyond what I would dream of doing.  

I will, however, dream about making this chicken time and time again.  Loved it!  I found the recipe on pinterest, although I don't have my own account.  I'm afraid I would neglect my children to make sure I met the pinning quota to keep up with my friends that have it down to a science.  I do think that it's an awesome place to find delicious recipes like this one.  I loved the sauce on the chicken.  I wish I had some green onions to sprinkle atop.  Next time!

PS- Due to the fact that I have a new baby, I only have a picture of the finished product.  It's pretty simple though.  Let me know if you have questions!


Honey Sesame Chicken
source: http://www.grumpyshoneybunch.com/2010/04/are-you-seeing-pattern-here-lately.html

12 oz chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
1 T soy sauce
1 T cooking wine (I used dry white wine)
1/2 T sesame oil
1 t sugar
2 T flour
1 T cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1/4 t pepper

sauce:
1 T sweet chili sauce (found in the Asian section in the grocery store)
2 T ketchup
1 T honey
1 T oyster sauce
2 T soy sauce
1/4 c water

1 T sesame seeds
1 green onion, chopped

Combine the soy sauce, cooking wine, sesame oil, and sugar in a Ziplock bag or other container.  Add the cut-up chicken and marinate for an hour.

Mix flour and cornstarch in another bag.  Once the chicken is done marinating, drain it.  Add the drained chicken into the bag with the flour and cornstarch.  Shake to coat evenly.

Fry in hot oil.  I preheated my oil over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes.  Fry the chicken pieces until they are golden brown.  Drain on a paper towel.

For the sauce, add the chili sauce, ketchup, honey, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and water in a medium saucepan.  Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat.  Then, lower it to a simmer and cook until it thickens.  Add the chicken pieces into the pan and toss to evenly coat.

Sprinkle with sesame seeds and chopped green onions.

I served with fried rice and sweet and sour grilled shrimp (recipe coming soon!)

No comments:

Post a Comment