Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Cashew Sweet and Sour Chicken

Honestly, I don't where they time has gone for the past two weeks.  I have meant to blog some recipes, but then I get wrapped into some silly TV show or just go to sleep.  I work from home on a computer, and some days, I was working straight from 7:30-4:00 with few breaks in between.  I think the last thing I want to do at the end of the day is stare at a computer screen for another second.  Nonetheless, here I am with another tasty recipe. 

I'm not going to lie.  I was skeptical when I saw thi recipe because the sauce had a little ketchup in it.  I love ketchup on hamburgers and hot dogs, but usually, when ketchup ends up in a sauce, something goes terribly wrong.  This recipe, however, is an exception!  I thought it was fantastic.  It would have been even better with the cashews, but me, being the genius I am, forgot to add them at the last minute.  Either way, I was impressed!  I served it with fried rice and cream cheese rangoons (see the chinese label), and it was just as good as a chinese restaurant without the sick stomach afterward.
Cashew Sweet and Sour Chicken
source: Our Best Bites website

2 T corn starch
1 T apple juice
1 lb. chicken, thinly sliced (Slice it thinly while it is partially frozen to get nice, thin slices)
1/3 c water
1/4 c sugar
1/4 c cider vinegar
3 T soy sauce
3 T ketchup
1 T oil
1/3 c chopped cashews
1/4 c green onions
1 t dry ginger
2 t garlic, minced
6-8 oz snow peas, edges trimmed off
1 8 oz can pineapple chunks

Combine 1 T cornstarch, apple juice, and chicken.  Toss well.  Set aside.

 Combine 1 T cornstarch, water, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, and ketchup.  Set aside.
 Keep all the other ingredients on hand and ready to go for when the chicken is done cooking.

Heat 1-2 T oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add chicken and cook for 3 minutes.

Add the green onions, garlic, and ginger.  Stir-fry for one minute. 
 Add the snow peas and pineapple.  Stir-fry for another 3 minutes. 
 Whisk the sauce to blend it and pour it into the pan.  Bring it to a boil.   Cook for one minute, stirring frequently.  Stir in the cashews and serve over hot rice. 
 Garnish with more green onions and cashews, if you'd like. 
This is a really fast and delicious meal!  I'll be adding it to my small reportoire of Chinese food to make again and again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment