Monday, September 19, 2011

Southwest Eggrolls with Avocado Ranch

Get out that DEEP, FAT fryer.  Don't those words just invoke lovely images of skinny women sun-bathing on sandy, white beaches while being spritzed with tanning oil?  No?  Shucks.  I'm just trying to redeem the reputation of the poor deep fat fryer.  I think it's gets a bad rap but I've got its back since without it, I cannot not make cream cheese rangoons, deep fried Oreos, and homemade fries.  Must I go on?  Because I can.  In fact, I can go on and on.  I love me some deep fried food.  :) 

This recipe is just one more reason why I love to bust out my fryer.  Don't worry- it's only a couple times a month that I even use that thing.    Anyway, this recipe is a keeper.  I had some Sothwest Eggrolls at Chiles years ago, and I loved those, too.  I don't know how similar these are, but they've got to be just as good.  I scarfed up more of these than any one person should at a single sitting.  These would be a great appetizer for a get-together or as a side dish from some grilled chicken.

And be sure that when you eat them (along with any fried food), you visualize yourself as a skinny chick on a beach.  Unless you're a dude.  That would just be weird.  Unless you're a dude that wants to visualize being a dude that's rockin' a checkered speedo and blasting an Ace of Base cassette on a boombox at the beach.  That would rule.
 Southwest Eggrolls with Avocado Ranch
source: Worldwide Ward Cookbook- Secret Recipes

2 1/2 c chicken, cooked and shredded
1 1/2 c Mexican cheese blend, shredded
2/3 c frozen corn, thawed
2/3 c black beans, drained and rinsed
5 green onions, chopped
1/4 c cilantro, minced
1 t salt
1 t cumin
1 t lime zest
1/4 t cayenne pepper
20 egg roll wrappers
oil for frying
1 c ranch dressing
1 medium, ripe avocado, peeled and mashed
1 T cilantro, minced
1 t lime zest or 1 t lime juice

In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, cheese, corn, black beans, green onions, cilantro, salt cumin, lime zest, and cayenne pepper.
 Mix it all up.
 Place an egg roll wrapper down and place about 1/4 c of mixture down the middle.
 Bring up the bottom point.
 Fold in the sides, and brush the top point with water.  Fold it down and press it to seal. 
 Voila!  A little eggroll. 
 Fry in 375 degree oil  until they are golden brown.  Remove them and let them rest of paper towel until you're ready to eat them.

While they're cooling, combine the ranch dressing, avocado, cilantro, and lime zest.
 Serve the egg rolls with the avocado dip.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!Just.......Wow! Would sweet and sour sauce go good with them too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Mom! I think sweet and sour would be good, too, but this avocado ranch was amazing! If you try it with sweet and sour, let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not wait to make these! And especially try the avocado ranch! YUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i work at chills these definitely seem spot on to "OUR" recipe. and yes, the avocado ranch is just ranch with fresh avocado mashed up pieces stirred into it

    ReplyDelete