Sunday, August 7, 2011

Crispy Buffalo Chicken Roll-ups

I think I've been searching my whole life for a legitimate dinner to cook that tastes like hot chicken fingers.  I've searched high and low.  Lo and behold, I found it!  Woohoo!  One more perk... it uses a condiment that has both my married last name and my maiden name: Frank's Redd Hot.  How many people can say that?  Okay, I did add an extra D on "Red" but still.  Both names are there.  "Hot" could apply as well since it's in the middle of summer, and in my town, I always am hot... always.  Could you imagine if some other people's last and maiden names would be a condiment?  Hagfeldt's VanBeveren Ketchup.  Nope.  Albert's Stenquist mustard? No, ma'am. Todd's Gubler Mayonnaise?  Ha!  I wish that existed!  I'd buy it all the time.

I found this recipe a couple issues back in the Taste of Home magazine.  It's a similar idea to chicken cordon bleu, in that you flatten out the chicken breast and roll up something delicious in the middle.  This was great.  The original recipe called for Blue Cheese in the center, which would be amazing.  I didn't have any on hand, so I used mozzarella, and it turned out delicious.  The Red Hot flavor wasn't too overbearing, but you will get little patches of intense bursts of hotness.  I loved it!  And do you see that stream of cheese exiting stage right?  Amazing. 
 Buffalo Chicken Roll-ups
source: Taste of Home magazine August/September 2011

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 c crumbled blue cheese (or chunks of mozzarella)
1/4 c Frank's Red Hot
2 T mayonnaise
1 c crushed cornflakes

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken (shiny side up) and beat it senseless until it is flattened out to about 1/4 inch thick.  Flip it over, season it with salt and pepper, and place the cheese near the widest part of the chicken. 

 Begin to roll up the chicken.  Tuck in the sides as you go.  Secure the chicken with a toothpick.  If there are any of you out there doing this for the first time, don't worry... the first time I attempted to do a chicken roll-up, I seriously used about 8 toothpicks per chicken breast.  I'm surprised someone didn't choke on one.  It really is a miracle. 
 Combine the hot sauce and mayonnaise in a bowl.  Place the crushed cornflakes in another bowl. 
 Dip the chicken in the hot sauce/mayonnaise mixture then coat it in corn flakes. 
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.  Try to fish the toothpicks out of the chicken before you serve it.  If you don't remove them, please, for the sake of your diners' safety, tell them about the toothpicks. 

 Bask in its glory. 
 When you cut into it, a river of melty mozzarella comes out.  Oh yeah. 

No comments:

Post a Comment