Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Boston Brown Bread

Traditionally, this bread is baked in a coffee can.  Well, folks, I don't have any spare coffee cans lying around.  Luckily, I found this recipe for the bread to be baked in a regular quick bread loaf pan.  I've got that!  This is a quick bread, so you won't have to work with any yeast.  I know that is a huge perk for a few people I know.  :)  This is a thick bread, and it has molasses and brown sugar, so it comes out sweet.  When my husband tried it, he said that it was his new favorite bread.  My kids gobbled it up, too!  Well, everything but the crust.  It's a great side bread for a steak dinner.  I actually think that Black Angus serves Boston Brown Bread at their restaraunt, and although this bread is quite different, it is similar in taste. 

Boston Brown Bread
source: Allrecipes 

2 c whole wheat flour
1 c all purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2/3 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 c molasses
2 c buttermilk

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Grease and flour a 9x5 loaf pan.  Knock out any excess flour.

Whisk the dry ingredients in a bowl.  Add the molasses and buttermilk.  Stit until it is just incorporated.  Pour into the prepared pan nd bake for one hour.  Let it cool in the pan for five minutes, then remove it to a wire rack.  Slice it and serve it with butter.


No comments:

Post a Comment