Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Peruvian Beef Kabobs (Anticuchos) with Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce

Something tells me that when your husband hugs you after eating dinner and thanks you a million times, the recipe is a keeper.  In fact, he mentioned nothing short of tattooing this recipe on my forearm so we'd never lose it.  The flavor that comes with this recipe is unbelievable.  If this is how Peruvians really eat, I'm fixing to get a green card!  They aren't spicy as much as they are tangy, but this sirloin is dressed to perfection.  Thank goodness I stumbled upon this recipe.  A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.  That's right.  It's so good, I spelled it in all caps with dashes in between.  I think if a wife cooks this for her husband, any spark that has gone away will come back.  It's that good.  Fantastic recipe.  By the way... if the roasted pepper sauce freaks you out, you've got to try it!  It makes the beef flavor that much better.  I wouldn't change a thing about this except invite people over next time.  Any one want to have a kabobbing party? 
 Peruvian Beef Kabobs (Anticuchos) with Roasted yellow Pepper Sauce
source: Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2002

beef:
1 1/2 lb sirloin steak, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 T red wine vinegar
2 t paprika
1 t salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t turmeric (I didn't have this, so I omitted it)

rub:
1 t paprika
1 t salt
1/2 freshly ground pepper
1/4 t turmeric
1 T parsley

Roasted Yellow Pepper Sauce:
1 large yellow bell pepper
1/4 c chopped green onions
2 T white vinegar (I used cider vinegar since it is a little more mild)
1 T water
1 T olive oil
1 T lemon juice
1 t cumin
1 t paprika
1/2 t turmeric
1/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1 garlic clove, minced

Combine the chunks of beef with the remaining ingredients under "beef."  Put in a ziplock bag, toss to coat, and let it sit in the fridge for an hour.

Preheat your broiler to high.  Slice the yellow pepper in half and remove the seeds and veins.  Place it skin side up and flatten it with your hand. 
 Broil for about 15 minutes or until the skin is blackened.  Place it in a ziplock bag and close it.  Let it rest for 15 minutes.

While it is resting, combine all of the rub ingredients.  Set aside.
 Peel the blackened skin off of the pepper and dice it.  Add the diced pepper into a food processor with the remaining ingredients and pulse until it's smooth.  Set aside until you're ready to use it.
 Here is an up close picture of my finished product.  mmm...
 Take the beed chunks out of the marinade and toss them in with the rub.  Toss to coat. 

Preheat the grill to medium-high.

Come back and thread the beef onto skewers.  Grill for three minutes per side.  Serve with the sauce.  I also made a black bean-corn skillet salad, pasta, and Garlicky Zuchinni. 

Quoting my husband, "If this is 'light,' I never have to go back to eating anything else!"  There are a few steps involved, but you won't be disappointed!  Even my five year old daughter loved the meat.  I smell a trip to Peru in my future!  What else do they have up their sleeves that I don't know about?! 

No comments:

Post a Comment